Springs for R1 forks

Hi all. I've got a pair of 2003 R1 forks that are in great shape. I'm going to drop them on my 2003 FZ1 after I get them serviced and have a spacer made that will allow me to use the Gen II upper triple tree. For those who have done the conversion, I've been reading about the use of different springs to compensate for the additional weight of the FZ1 over the R1. What do you think...new springs or use the R1 springs? If new springs, any guidance on a good replacement spring to use and where to get it? I want to do this right, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily either! Thanks!

Mark

RE:

Hello
Good luck with your conversion. I can't say much about the springs, but I can share a few tips I experienced with my conversion.
I used a pair of 04 R1 forks on my 04 FZ1.
I used the trees from the R1 and had the stem cut and re-welded to make it fit on the frame more snugly.
I had a very hard time finding the correct steering bearings for my new setup. Since the FZ and R1 use different size bearings at the top ( I can't remember the sizes) make sure you measure everything twice before you make any mods.
I made some custom brackets for the front fender so I could attach the FZ fender to the R1 forks. Otherwise you will need a R1 fender.
Since I used the R1 tree and wanted to use the FZ handle bar risers I added a custom bushing to each riser to take up the extra slack, without using spacers so they could bolt up. This also helps damper some unwanted vibration.
I then reinstalled the ignition switch, handle bars and FZ brake fluid reservoir. I still have the R1 reservoir but I don't like the look of it sitting there freely.
I then installed stainless brake lines and FZ1 brakes and now all is well.
There are a few ways to do this conversion. My way was more trial by error. If you have any questions let me know!

Back