Spring rate of stock shock?

Phil_RC_1

Hello,

First post. New owner of a leftover 09 FZ1. Killer bike but I gotta "make it mine" cause stock sux (LOL).

Anyway,,,, The stock rear shock feels a bit soft to me, I would like to try to just replace the spring for a stiffer one. Not looking for a race day setup, just a bit firmer ride in the rear without jacking the pre-load all the way. Anyone have any idea what the stock spring rate is?

Phil

Hello,

First post. New owner of a leftover 09 FZ1. Killer bike but I gotta "make it mine" cause stock sux (LOL).

Anyway,,,, The stock rear shock feels a bit soft to me, I would like to try to just replace the spring for a stiffer one. Not looking for a race day setup, just a bit firmer ride in the rear without jacking the pre-load all the way. Anyone have any idea what the stock spring rate is?

Phil

O6 came out with firmer 600lb spring, 07+ have 700lb springs. If you are happy with the performance of the stock shock find a cheap low milage 06 shock off ebay, this will be your cheapest option= i have one in the garage you could have but shipping would be a killer. 2nd option and most common one is to replace the shock with a Penske of Ohlins this will improve the bike 100% and a Penske with correct spring can be had for as little as $5-600 new.

Thanx for the info guys. I did a search and didn't come up with that thread, thanx again.

Since I have the spring compressor, I just thought I'd try the cheap spring change before spending $600 on a whole shock assembly. It might be all I need.

Thanx for the info guys. I did a search and didn't come up with that thread, thanx again.

Since I have the spring compressor, I just thought I'd try the cheap spring change before spending $600 on a whole shock assembly. It might be all I need.

The biggest prob with stock shocker is the lack of rebound dampning, you can throw a couple hundred buck at it but the thing is as budget & prehistoric as they come & non rebuildable. Suspension is the most important thing on your bike get the credit card out you won't regret it!!!.

Back