Spring Cleaning....

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Ok, so all I started out with a simple plan. Replace my double-clicker with the factory one I had just picked up and put on the painted, rear calilper and new brake line.

Well, I wasn't paying attention to which bolt I was undoing on the shock, and oil starting going everywhere. So I was cleaning it up and started on the centerstand, then the side stand and while I was there some of the underside of the bike. Next thing I had the rear wheel off and cleaning the swingarm. Then started on the various pieces associated with the wheel.

I then decided that I was going to paint some of the bits and pieces black (as if I didn't have anything else to do.....)

I'm now looking for a way to spruce up the Exhaust Pipe assembly b/c there is a bunch of dirt, tar, and general dinginess.

Pep Boys/Autozone/Napa/.....anyone have any recommendations for a cleaner or process that can work magic?

BroHay

Last edited:
If you want something that will take the worst crud off, try xylene. You can get it at the paint or hardware store. I used it to prep my truck bed before putting the liner in (per their instructions) and since then, I've cleaned just about everything that nothing else would touch. It's very volatile and you have to be careful around any flames.

Falmiliar with the stuff -- and have used it for things in the past. And who knows, I might just give it a shot and go to Auto Store and get some of the ceramic spraypaint and paint the exhaust black as well....

but then that will get me into the EXUP valve, and should probably do some service on that....geez, started as a simple things we trying to complete some old "to-do" items and now look at the can of worms....

BroHay

Well, got everything put pack together and boy the time sure does fly.

Got the rear of the bike all nice an purdy -- who knew there were soooo many places for crap to hideout in.

Part of the work performed this past weekend was finally getting around to removing my Fox Double Clicker rear shock that is in need of servicing, as well as being rebuilt for my correct weight. I was happy to find that I had a 600lb spring already installed so I can use that money saved to try and replace some of the other items that were damaged from the Previous Owner (cosmetic, but now that I know it is there, it must get repaired).

I installed a stock shock for the interim, and let me say, I had been roughing it for about the past 3 months. I now have some travel and will make me appreciate even more the double-clicker when I get it back from Traxxion.

Next inline for the spring clean is changing out the anti-freeze/oil/spark plugs. Need to also get some new rubber and then the only thing that remains is cosmetic with painting.

Then what will I do with all of the new found time.....:sport12:

Few hours.....still going....hehe

hard for me to finish when the weather is so nice to ride.....can't go a day w/o riding....

BroHay

I did round two yesterday/this morning and had broken into some of the nuts/bolts that probably hadn't seen light of day since initial assembly.

Corrosion on some of the linkage hardware and the sleeve that housed the swingarm bolt was greased up but not very smooth operation.

Anyone got any recommendations on how to combat the corrosion problem?

Adam

Back