Speedometer problem Gen 1

I have a 2003 fz1 with less thank 6k miles on it. Recently the speedometer quit work, along with the odometer. Everything else works as it should. At times, seems more when its colder, it will work, but at random, and sometimes it will bounce like its trying to work. But for the majority of the time it lies flat at 0. I changed the speed sensor with an OEM replacement from Yamaha, and still nothing, I also took apart the cluster and found nothing wrong, all connections and everything are good. I guess my question is, would the speed sensor need to be be calibrated? Or is my next option a new cluster? And if I were to change the cluster, would my mileage retain? The bike is in absolute mint condition.

Seeing as to what you have already gone over I would think a damaged wire in the harness or a connector connection that is marginal. Take a look at the schematic to see which wires to focus on. Also, I believe there 2 power feeds to the cluster. Maybe one of those.

Well I go out to the garage today with a level head to sit down and tinker around with it, I check continuity, all was good, check voltage, seemed fine. Circuitry in the cluster was fine. That got me scratching my head. So for poops and haha's I plugged everything back in and got everything where I could test it. And it works 100% fine. I have absolutely no idea what I did but it's fixed. Oh well I'll roll with it haha.

Well I go out to the garage today with a level head to sit down and tinker around with it, I check continuity, all was good, check voltage, seemed fine. Circuitry in the cluster was fine. That got me scratching my head. So for poops and haha's I plugged everything back in and got everything where I could test it. And it works 100% fine. I have absolutely no idea what I did but it's fixed. Oh well I'll roll with it haha.

Fixed is fixed! Screw it! Glad you're all sorted :)

buy a can of contact cleaner and spray all the connectors you can find, take the right black plastic cover(the one for the fuel pump, there is one connector for speed or rpm (don't remember), also under the tank there's a bundle

Well that didn't last very long. The speedometer has again started to fail. Started wiggling, the dropping and rising back up over and over again. Now it hardly moves. I have to say, I'm stumped... Anyone think it might be the cluster?

Try connecting the voltage regulator wires strait to Battery the black and red one it solved my charging problem on mine i suspect a shorted wires in the wirering

Envoyé de mon GT-I9100 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back