Speedometer Error

I took my Tom Tom out to determine the error in the speedometer ('08). I read the Tom Tom at three indicated speeds, 20, 40, and 60 mph. The Tom Tom gave me 18, 36, and 54 mph. That's an 11% error, low.

Johnny
That's interesting. I thought the speedometer error was such the bike usually reads higher than true speed. I thought I saw that somewhere, but I'm not sure now.

FWIW, yesterday I went past one of those electronic signs that say, "Speed Limit Is 25. Your Speed is XX." It said I was going 32 which agreed exactly with my speedometer. The same sign agrees with my car at about the same speed.

I have a Tom Tom too, but I use it in the car only. How do you mount it to the bike? I've been having fun lately just getting lost on some the the back roads here in NJ that I never knew where they lead. I'm sure to get lost soon so having the Tom Tom to get me home would be great. Especially at twilight. I'm turning 50 soon. My eyes at night aren't what they used to be. Glare is a big problem. So getting home before darkness quickly via Tom Tom would be a nice thing to have. Soon the days will be getting shorter-arghhh!

Ride safe all!

Johnny
That's interesting. I thought the speedometer error was such the bike usually reads higher than true speed. I thought I saw that somewhere, but I'm not sure now.

FWIW, yesterday I went past one of those electronic signs that say, "Speed Limit Is 25. Your Speed is XX." It said I was going 32 which agreed exactly with my speedometer. The same sign agrees with my car at about the same speed.

I have a Tom Tom too, but I use it in the car only. How do you mount it to the bike? I've been having fun lately just getting lost on some the the back roads here in NJ that I never knew where they lead. I'm sure to get lost soon so having the Tom Tom to get me home would be great. Especially at twilight. I'm turning 50 soon. My eyes at night aren't what they used to be. Glare is a big problem. So getting home before darkness quickly via Tom Tom would be a nice thing to have. Soon the days will be getting shorter-arghhh!

Ride safe all!

I just stuck it in the clear top pouch of my tank bag. Believe me, it reads easier than it really was. Find a place with some distance between traffic, hold the speed constant, and try and read the stupid Tom Tom's micro print.

Back