Speedo accuracy

McFly

I’m a new 06 owner and first time poster.

My spidey sense is telling me my speedo is reading high. It could be that the upright seating position is throwing me off or maybe it is just riding something different than what I am used to.

I thought I would ask if this is a known problem before I borrow a GPS or compare speeds with a bud. Thanks.

I’m a new 06 owner and first time poster.

My spidey sense is telling me my speedo is reading high. It could be that the upright seating position is throwing me off or maybe it is just riding something different than what I am used to.

I thought I would ask if this is a known problem before I borrow a GPS or compare speeds with a bud. Thanks.

I think its something like 10% progressivly off. I had to do the gps thing myself and its close to that

Very common for motorcycle speedometers to read higher than actual speed. I am not sure how much off ours are, but the 10% might be a little high. I would think it's closer to 5-6%.

it is not uncommon to be 3-5% from the factory -- throw a sprocket change in there from stock -- and it'll jump in a hurry.

can work one of two ways -- give you the impression of traveling faster than you really are (maybe not too bad if you are in Johnny Law's scope) and also cause more miles to be accumulated than actually traveled.

Speedo-healer is a quick, easy fix.

Adam

Thanks guys, lots of good info!

There is a lot I don’t know about this bike since it’s a repo. I think he spent all of his money on upgrades and after market parts rather than make payments. The chain is not stock and it’s is a good bet the sprockets are not original size. What is the tooth count for the original sprockets?

I will beg/borrow or steal a GPS and do some comparisons with the speedo. Thanks again.

Thanks guys, lots of good info!

There is a lot I don’t know about this bike since it’s a repo. I think he spent all of his money on upgrades and after market parts rather than make payments. The chain is not stock and it’s is a good bet the sprockets are not original size. What is the tooth count for the original sprockets?

I will beg/borrow or steal a GPS and do some comparisons with the speedo. Thanks again.

Stock sprockets are 17/45. If they were changed then that would throw off the speedometer even more.

well, ran my test before and then I verified with a GPS after having the speedo-healer installed, that was the difference....maybe I should go and re-verify....

I also should note that I had a 15/46 setup when the test was done b/c it was not from stock...

Adam

Last edited:
well, ran my test before and then I verified with a GPS after having the speedo-healer installed, that was the difference....maybe I should go and re-verify....

I also should note that I had a 15/46 setup when the test was done b/c it was not from stock...

Adam

did the test tonight. at 80 mph on the dash the gps was reading 76. at 45 mph on dash gps read 42.

how much are these speedo healers? makes me want to buy a 18t and have it dead on :)

Almost all Japanese spedo's are high. My 08 is actually 60 at an indicated 62-3. I don't worry too much as long as I know approximately how much it's off and accomodate for it.

I have an 08 and used my GPS to check mine and found that below 40mph mine is off by about 2mph. At 55mph it's off by about 3mph.

That sounds about right. There is a Sherrif Dept. sub station close to my house. They always leave one of those radar warning signs up on the feeder that shows your speed as you pass. My Speedo show 50MPH while their radar shows ~47-48MPH.

Mine is a steady 10% off according to the Garmin GPS. 45 is 41, 50 is 45, 55 is 49, etc... There isn't a whole lot of deviation from the 10% mark

Back