Spark plugs?

I got a question about spark plugs. On a modded bike (like mine, my mods are, Lars air box mod, & harness rerouting, stock air cleaner, with screen removed, smaller flies to 38mm, full Hindle header & muffler, PCIII (still need to install new map, witch one?) & 16 tooth front sprocket.
My question is when you mod an engine for more HP, most people use a colder heat range spark plugs, is this true? If so do we step up to a #10 heat range?
Hope some one can help.
Thanks Craig (Buddy769) :sport12:

Well you're right a lot of times people use a spark plug one or two heat ranges colder. However, if the bike is not detonating then there is really no need to make that change. The only time I could see that on a bike is if it was supercharged/turbocharged or you were using N2O. Bikes are more resistant to detonation than cars due to their efficient combustion chambers/small bore/aluminum head.

I use the OEM plugs. All mods. But no one ever told me about heat range stuff.

Only reason I changed the plugs at 25k miles was because I did the blocks. Plugs looked great.

The bike runs like a freakin rocket, so don't wanna change anything.

Try reading Pats motorcycle page ....or Izowas page, both accessable by the FZ1OA forum.... I'v read and read, and nothing comes up in my memory of heat range change. I'd avoid it, a mistake could cause you greif. Irridiums are said to last longer between replacements, but I believe offer no percieved performance gain. I'd check more as I said, I'm not the plug Guru here.

Last edited:
Try reading Pats motorcycle page ....or Izowas page, both accessable by the FZ1OA forum.... I'v read and read, and nothing comes up in my memory of heat range change. I'd avoid it, a mistake could cause you greif. Irridiums are said to last longer between replacements, but I believe offer no percieved performance gain. I'd check more as I said, I'm not the plug Guru here.

From a performance perspective I don't think anything outperforms the regular copper plugs. Platinum and Iridium plugs were introduced in the automotive world so that they would last longer between changes. This was done for emmissions purposes since the manufactures have to warranty certain emmissions components for 100k miles.

Tony hit it out of the park. Unless the bike exhibits a problem, no change should be necessary. If you have a doubt, after making all your changes, pull the plugs after 1k miles and visually inspect them. :D

Last edited:
The only time a plug in a range other than the stock should be used would be if a rider was experiencing detonation or fouling and even then I'd try to figure out what was leadin to those symptoms first.

Back