spark plug life

My bike is an 03 with 36,000km.
I am wondering if this is too early or the right time to start thinking about getting them changed.
Just bought the bike and have not checked the mileage per tank.
Thanks for the help.

I would do it as a regular maintenance item like your manual states. My repair manual calls for it every 8000 miles, and that's what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do it as a regular maintenance item like your manual states. My repair manual calls for it every 8000 miles, and that's what I do.

I used to follow the manual but I learned your plugs will last way longer than what it says. If you need a starting point replace the plugs and ride.
I have 18k miles on my plugs and the bike runs fine, I will replace them at the 26k valve check.
I've run iridium plugs that long in my FJR with no problems.

Well, I'm a preventative maintenance kinda gal, so I don't stretch stuff out to much. I run iridiums as well, given its cheap insurance, and easy to do, I just do it. :)

On my 919 honda hornet I first changed them at 26,000klms they were still like new, after that changed them at 40,000klms they still looked good and the bike ran fine,but I wouldn`t go longer with standard plugs,I don`t see why the FZ1 would be much difference.I will most likey only change the plugs on my FZ1 at the same time I do the 40,000klm valve check

My bike is an 03 with 36,000km.
I am wondering if this is too early or the right time to start thinking about getting them changed.
Just bought the bike and have not checked the mileage per tank.
Thanks for the help.
Check your service book to see if they have written in new plugs in any of the pervious services,can`t help with tank mileage as I have a gen 2

what is the valve check?
Is it the shims and clearence?
How big of a job is it?
I will be hiring a mechanic to do this.

I spoke with a local mechanic and he recommends tuning the carbs and changing spark plugs as part of the tune up.

Gen II calls for a valve clearance check every 26,000 miles. You can look it up for a gen 1. It can be a big job to check the valves but it is improtant to have this service done via Yamaha's schedule.

How does the bike run? If it starts easy and runs good then just ride it. OR you can have your mechanic do a tune up just for a starting point, be sure to check or replace the air filter.

what is the valve check?
Is it the shims and clearence?
How big of a job is it?
I will be hiring a mechanic to do this.

I spoke with a local mechanic and he recommends tuning the carbs and changing spark plugs as part of the tune up.
once again check your service book[ if you have one] the valve check may have all ready been done, save yourself a lot of money

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there...
How long before I need to replace spark plugs?

Australian owners manual says 20,000km (12,500 miles). If you are using Iridiums you can run them 3 to 4 times longer. Eg- In cars standard plugs say 25-30,000km, with Iridiums 90-105,000km is the normal manufacturers change.

Australian owners manual says 20,000km (12,500 miles). If you are using Iridiums you can run them 3 to 4 times longer. Eg- In cars standard plugs say 25-30,000km, with Iridiums 90-105,000km is the normal manufacturers change.
I agree, that the Iridium plugs should last at least 60,000 plus klms

I agree, that the Iridium plugs should last at least 60,000 plus klms

I agree about the Iridium plugs. And actually they are good to 100k miles in automotive applications!!!

I just recently replaced the original Iridium plugs in my 2006 Honda Accord (with 100k miles) and while they had some deposits on them I couldn't really see any wear on them. Car still ran fine and ran no better with the fresh plugs.

Just yesterday I replaced plugs on an '06 FZ1 with 13.5k miles and the factory plugs looked fine. Again I really didn't notice much wear on them. Owner opted to go with a set of Iridium plugs (as per my recommendation) and they should last 40-50k miles even in the high revving FZ1.

Last edited:
just did my plugs on saturday with 20600 miles on the bike and they were shot idle was erratic but is now real smooth havent ridden it yet

Back