Southern Ca and gliders

Nothing but rain and snow up here in northern Ca so last week I packed up my FJR for a 4 day 1,670 mile ride down to Southern Ca desert with dry days and temps on the 70's once I got down there. Temps in the 40's with rain down and back but I love the tupperware of a sport tourer.
On the way I rode by the Tahachapi Loop a world famous train loop built in the 1870's. Found this by chance as I wanted to take a small road for a bit off the freeway and it was so cool as a train was there when I was. It's a bit tough to see but the train goes through a tunnel then up around a big hill where it will cross over the tunnel. As you can tell I was still in wet weather.

PalmDesertmarch2011018-1.jpg

Look close and you can see the pusher engines above the front engines.

PalmDesertmarch2011019-1.jpg

I met up with Cliff (a FZ6 forum member) on his SV1000 for some fun as there are some really great roads in the Anza Borrego desert. You can see the controlled burn on Mt. Palomar to the left of him in the distance.

PalmDesertmarch2011039.jpg

While riding with him we passed a Glider (sailplane) airport in Warner Springs. I have always wanted to try this so the next morning I rode out to take a ride.
I was feeling mighty brave before we went up.

PalmDesertmarch2011103.jpg

Looking forward to the tow plane, yep I was in the front seat and trying to fly this thing.

PalmDesertmarch2011115.jpg

My way cool instructor Ryan and a view toward the airport. You can see all the yellow wildflowers in bloom.

PalmDesertmarch2011112.jpg

PalmDesertmarch2011110.jpg

I had a really hard time getting the hang of gliding and about 20 min into the flight my motion sickness hit me with a mean headache so I just let Ryan fly it- much safer that way. I really did have a blast and now that I'm an Ace this was just down the road waiting for me.

PalmDesertmarch2011129.jpg

Actually these guys were from Brittan over here to fly in our desert to simulate Africa conditions. Nice guys, I thanked them for their service and let them get back to work.

My 04 FJR turned over 75,000 miles on this trip. It is a great bike and loves to stretch it's legs out in the open. Kind of fun pulling the front up just a bit at 110 mph on a few desert whoops in the road. Way better than any old Connie (J/K Norm).

PalmDesertmarch2011187.jpg

Oh Yeah, when I rode up Mt. Palomar (great road for tire profiling after 500 miles of freeway) I came across this sign. As a veteran of many snowball adventures this sign cracked me up. Only in Southern California would they post a sign like this.

PalmDesertmarch2011070-1.jpg

I did gliding for about 6 months but I got bored.

Bikes are much more fun.

Mind you, the aerobatic flight that I did in a Tigermoth 4 years ago, THAT was exciting.

Back