Sold my old bike tonight...

NightTrain

What a tough deal that was, from all the b.s to the haggling to the endless flaking, I really don't blame people for just trading bikes in at a loss!!! Well anyhow I let go of a bike I truley had an amazing time on, my '03 Z1000. She was a good bike, screw that a great bike, if money/space wasn't an issue I would have held on for much longer... more fun than you could shake a stick at :tup:. After 4 years and almost 40k it was time. I threw the kitchen sink at that machine, and was rewarded with the sort of riding experience that is not easy to sum up. Mods, mods, mods, and then a few more :rmwl:. One of my favorite experiences on the old Zed was when a younger, local member of my old meetup.com riding group in Florida asked me to ride with him to the Gap... his words were " I'm going to school you, get ready to stare at some tail-light" He was on a newer bike, '09 GSXR600. He thought the old heavy beast had nothing for him :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]. I blew past him with the rear tire getting busy, backed it in and said "good-bye"... he could drag knee but he couldn't run with the Z!!! :eek5:. She did me right, no doubt about it.

But now, she is gone, and I have a new bike to enjoy, the amazing F(izzer-azer)Z1!!! Like the Z1, it is not perfect out of the box and needs some attention. But I'm well on my way to getting it to my liking :disturbed. Suspension has been adressed, and alot of other little tricks are being incorporated. I have been blessed with a number of awesome deals on trick bits by members of this forum, and have saved a ton of $$$ vs. what pure retail would have set me back. The Yammie is not as flexible as the Kawi but It has a clear advantage in that all-out performance is better, if tuned to perfection. The motor... good god man, with just the AB mod and a slip the thing has been a beast. Bloody rapid. And for touring, it's just easier to do. It truley is the most well-rounded bike on the planet, especially if you are willing to throw a few bones and some elbow grease at it. I'm hooked.

I've really liked it here so far. Thanks to the membership on this forum for making it such a pleasant experience. Good times, good times.:cheers:

Glad to hear you finally sold the other bike so now you'll have more mod money :D I see you already scooped up that steering damper I had told you about ;)

How was the power delivery on the Z1 compared to the FZ1? I've heard they are much more on the low and mid range but you seem happy with the Yammie's motor. After I crashed my last FZ1 into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me, I nearly picked up one of the bright orange Z1's for sale locally. I wanted to give it a shot, but then the deal on my bee came up and I couldn't pass that up. Always wanted to give one of those Gen I Z1's a spin though.

And I hear ya on the whole selling experience. I hate selling bikes and dealing with the BS. Best exchange I've done so far has been trading bikes of nearly equal value. Done it twice and it was a great experience both times. Of course we had to be willing to drive some distances each time, but it was well worth it. Especially not paying taxes on the exchange. :D

How was the power delivery on the Z1 compared to the FZ1? I've heard they are much more on the low and mid range but you seem happy with the Yammie's motor. After I crashed my last FZ1 into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me, I nearly picked up one of the bright orange Z1's for sale locally. I wanted to give it a shot, but then the deal on my bee came up and I couldn't pass that up. Always wanted to give one of those Gen I Z1's a spin though.

And I hear ya on the whole selling experience. I hate selling bikes and dealing with the BS. Best exchange I've done so far has been trading bikes of nearly equal value. Done it twice and it was a great experience both times. Of course we had to be willing to drive some distances each time, but it was well worth it. Especially not paying taxes on the exchange. :D

With the factory header design, the Zed is better at all-around grunt. You can lug it more. Up top though it's all FZ1. I've yet to really blast it hard as the crap oem dunlop looses grip if your trying to ring it out. It's down to enviroment... if you live right off some great backroads, then I'd give the Zed the advantage. It's more attack. But if you need to travel to get to good roads, the Fz1 is going to wear you out alot less. The wind resistance is actually about the same, but the Fiz has much cleaner air to deal with. The ZGDB has enhanced that even more, up to 50 it feels like very little blast. At 70-80 some buffeting but not bad. The Zed put's your neck to the test, even with a better screen. Unlocking the torque is the secret on the Yamaha it seems... but I'll tell you this comming out of a corner the Fiz is quicker, if you have it in the right part of the powerband, also the stiffer chassis helps.

Ha! I'm in Texas. Great roads are out everyone's back door.

They are all great, straight and covered with chip seal! Gotta go to the Hill Country or Arkansas to find really really great roads. I'd still like to give the Kawi a spin one of these days though.

Ha! I'm in Texas. Great roads are out everyone's back door.

They are all great, straight and covered with chip seal! Gotta go to the Hill Country or Arkansas to find really really great roads. I'd still like to give the Kawi a spin one of these days though.

I guess out there they actually put the tax dollars to work on the roads.... in Baltimore it all goes towards keeping the criminal activity in check (barely). I've found some good backroads but again you can't get too nutty, there is no freekin' run-off anywhere, and the roads are still less than ideal. Need to find a job in Texas :eek:...

Yup my bad for not reading enough.... quick reply from work. I guess what you have sounds alot like Florida.

FWIW I have heard Arkansas is underrated for riding, alot of great roads. As for Texas I do remember going there over 10 years ago, it was like one giant strip mall with tex-mex restaurants everywhere. Good food but kind of boring.
Sorry, brain fart :confused:

Back