Sold my 2008 Gen II

Haha, that's awesome! Sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would do. Several years later after trying out different bikes, I'd probably just end up with a new paint scheme. :wilynily:

Pictures? I love the white look on the black frame.
Get a retro kit!

Enjoy it!!

No pictures yet, pick it up on Saturday :) Been looking at Ninja 1000, Speed Triple, etc, and still ended up picking another FZ1!

Yep, definitely looking at the retro kit or sticker kit. Gotta start all the modding again, what a drag ;-)

No pictures yet, pick it up on Saturday :) Been looking at Ninja 1000, Speed Triple, etc, and still ended up picking another FZ1!

Yep, definitely looking at the retro kit or sticker kit. Gotta start all the modding again, what a drag ;-)

I came very close to buying a Ninja 1000. Why did you decide against it?

I came very close to buying a Ninja 1000. Why did you decide against it?

The Ninja has the best reviews but just found it looked too cheap and plasticky and the exhausts are horrid. The service intervals are also more frequent at every 6k, with valve check at 24k compared to 10k and 40k on the FZ1.

The FZ1 just looks like a refined bike, nice thick paintwork and the engine on display just looks great. Engine on the Ninja is still covered in thin and shiny gloss paint from the 1980s, old fashioned. Definitely has the better performance though but I never get to use all the power the FZ1 has to offer on the road so pretty irrelevant to me. All down to looks, reliability and running costs.

Why didn't you get the Ninja?

For me the fact that it didn't have a center stand. I had read all the reviews and the Ninja does come on top. The Ninja had more torque down low but the FZ1 has its pull up top where I prefer. Too me it makes it a more user friendly bike at slow manuvering speeds. The center stand was the last deciding factor. Couldn't imagine being 1,000 miles from home and have to do any tire, wheel or chain maintance without a center stand.

Could not agree more about the center stand. Wouldn't have bought my KTM SMT if it did not have a center stand.

Yep, centerstands are so handy. Back in the day (70's) centerstands were a standard item then they started being left off as bikes got the plastic bodywork which weren't conducive to them. But when bikes like the FZ1 came along most still didn't have a centerstand, look at the FZ8, it doesn't have one as standard and you have to buy it as an accessory. If a bike couldn't be fitted with a centerstand it would be way down the list of possible bikes.

Same here

Haha, that's awesome! Sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would do. Several years later after trying out different bikes, I'd probably just end up with a new paint scheme. :wilynily:

Pictures? I love the white look on the black frame.
Get a retro kit!

Enjoy it!!

Mine is my first bike, but its so right for me, if I lost this 08 tomorrow, I'd just splurge on a new one. Besides, not sure the wife would like the back of a 2013 CBR1000RR.

:unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

Could not agree more about the center stand. Wouldn't have bought my KTM SMT if it did not have a center stand.

Same here. A bike has to have a centre stand or I won't buy it. In the case of a bike like the 919, I added the OEM one because they weren't standard in North America. Go figure

Yeah, that's a good point, I didn't even realise the Ninja doesn't have a centre stand. However, as I removed my centre stand when I fitted my Arrow downpipes I didn't even consider that! I always use the paddock stand for maintenance and cleaning but it is a pain as I have to get the wife to help with that.

It will be nice to get back to a bike with a centre stand though :)

Also funny how so many FZ1S owners consider it the perfect bike, including me! I have had 12 bikes in the last 9 years since arriving in Oz...GSXR750, KTM 640 Adv, Blackbird, DRZ400SM, Duke 690, FZ1 Gen I, KTM950SM, SV1000S, VFR800, WR250R, 2008 FZ1S...and now a 2012 FZ1S. Hopefully that will be it for another 4 happy years :)

:banghead: speaking of stand. i have to modify mine. i put a TRC yoshi on my 2012. i have to weld a tab 1 inch out and about 2 inch up. my rubber stopper doesnt line up correctly. ive tried moving exhaust. So fellas check yours. my chain and shock link is hitting my center stand. took it off to get mod done and repaint. :hi jack:

Back