Soda Blaster Anyone use One?

I my quest to clean things...yes I know it can be a problem, I stumbled across Soda Blasting.

Anyone have any experience with it? Harbor Freight has an inexpensive set up, but like many things from HF it has very mixed reviews. Not that soda does work, the tool can be a POS.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7mGGCVwl-E&feature=related]Soda Blaster on My Classic Car from Eastwood - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
what are you trying to do with it? it this is not a cleaning product removes oxides, paint, etc. then you have to clean up all the bloody soda.

Good question, from what I've been reading over on the XS650 Forum, soda blasting is a great way to remove old grim, and corrosion without damaging the material the part is made of. For example, air cooled motor, fins, grim on the case of an old motor, carb bodies, etc. The car guys like it because you can remove paint without damaging chrome, glass or rubber.

Blasting is messy, you need a place to do it, or build a blasting box. From what I understand the soda can be recycled, and the soda that does get away can be easily washed off with water from a garden hose.

Attached is an old XS650 motor that ran great, didn't need to come apart, but need a cleaning.

sorry i forgot that you had the xv project, for your project it mite be an idea. if you live close to a harbor freight for a hundred bucks you can try it out and if it sucks return it. it does make quick work of oxides but for grime nothing beats a ultrasonic or a steam cleaner.
like this
S-10H Stullersonic Cleaner | Stuller.com

sometimes being a goldsmith rocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea on the ultrasonic and steam cleaners. For smaller parts them look like a great way to go.

There is an HF nearby. I may pick one up and see if it works. I may prove to be a great time saver.

Back