So, the bike fell over.

aaand the bike just fell over in the parking lot. kickstand sunk. fairing=trash. inner fairing=trash. rizoma bar-end and grip=scratched. pazzo clutch lever=scratched. me=pissed.

I wish you were kidding but I take it your not. Talk about taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. That downright sucks. My son accidently tipped mine over two weeks ago. I feel your pain. I was lucky as it went over real slow so very minimal damage. I scratched the very bottom of the engine cover and slightly bent the bar end. I was able to remove it and straighten the bolt and as for the cover, I have the fairings on now so you don't see it anyway. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time at all. Sorry bud.

so.... went downstairs with a hammer... (all good stories start like this)

Straightened out the bracket that holds the back of the fairing/rectifier.

replaced the footpeg delrin slider (aftermarket EMGO pegs)

grabbed some duct tape... covered up crack in fairing. inside and out.

inner fairing still is screwed up... but I contacted Rick in CA to see if he'd make me a new one.

sanded down scratched lever with 1500 grit emery cloth.

and for some reason... I had an extra left Rizoma grip lying around... don't quite know why... but it's cool that I did.

Feeling calmer... I'll get around to getting a new fairing some other time... hopefully Rick can make me a new inner fairing... I really like those...

What happened? Nothing under the stand and the heat softened the asphalt? Small wind storm/tornado? A$$hat punk kick it? Blind older person back into it?

No matter what, THAT SUCKS!!! Sorry man! Did you check the prices on the fiche at Ron Ayers?

I'd be just as pi$$ed as you Aaron.

the pavement at this crappy apartment complex hasn't been touched since 1983... so there are cracks all over the place.... The bike was parked for maybe... 10 minutes... I was out for a ride, came up the stairs, sat in my chair... and heard it fall....

been parking it in the same exact spot for 2 years... cause it was the best looking spot... but I guess 2 years of parking the bike in the same EXACT spot weakened the pavement in that one area... so... yeah.

I've been looking around for a fairing... best price so far is about $170... I dunno.. I might leave it for a while... I've modded dang near everything that can possibly be modded... so the next step was custom paint anyhow... I might keep it with the cracked fairing until I go for the custom paint... then just pick up a unpainted one for much cheaper....

Let me see if I can lighten the mood for ya....

I wanted my wife to ride back in '06 so she agreed to take the BRC if I would take it with her. I agreed.

On that Saturday, the instructor was asking us questions when the question about parking the bike came up and ways to insure the safety of the bike. After a few people answered and no one hit on the kickstand, I raised my hand. Sgt. says, "Eric, what do you have to offer?"

I said, "You need to pad the kickstand to insure that it doesn't sink into the ground it contacts."

Sgt. says "Yes, excellent point! What would you use?"

Eric says, (no joke!) "Well, a pre-made pad or anything you can get your hand on, like a crushed beer can or something."

EVERYONE starts cracking up!!!!

Sgt. says "Eric, you and I need to talk after class."

He knew I was trying to joke and he never spoke to me about it. Nor ccould he help laughing afterward.

:D

at the East Coast Gather... it was raining like crazy... and if you looked down the line of bikes, you'd see beer cans under every kickstand... worked like a CHAMP with over 3" of rain a night....

I have a Cyclefoot... but.. usually don't need to use it here at the apartment... but... I guess from now on.....

Cycle foot.
cycle%20foot%20kickstand%20pad.jpg

and here... you can barely see the orange cyclefoot under water...

IMG_2449.jpg

That is unfortunate! When I saw the post I immediately thought it was going to be related to the possible new BT016 you had talked about going to get today.

Curious as to what your inner fairing is like (before the crash). Is it something that one of the members from FZ1OA came up with?

the inner fairing, a little more rounded than the stock unit... and made of carbon fiber instead of the black plastic used stock... on top of the carbon fiber, enough clear coat to make it nice and shiny... and makes the CF look like it's 6" below the clear coat.

the pavement at this crappy apartment complex hasn't been touched since 1983... so there are cracks all over the place.... The bike was parked for maybe... 10 minutes... I was out for a ride, came up the stairs, sat in my chair... and heard it fall....

been parking it in the same exact spot for 2 years... cause it was the best looking spot... but I guess 2 years of parking the bike in the same EXACT spot weakened the pavement in that one area... so... yeah.

I've been looking around for a fairing... best price so far is about $170... I dunno.. I might leave it for a while... I've modded dang near everything that can possibly be modded... so the next step was custom paint anyhow... I might keep it with the cracked fairing until I go for the custom paint... then just pick up a unpainted one for much cheaper....
That exact same thing happened to me man, I was fortunate enough to see the kickstand sunk into the pavement about an inch deep. Had it been another 10 or 20 min, I would be out with the duct tape and sand paper.

Really sorry to hear about that VA_rider. That blows man.

the inner fairing, a little more rounded than the stock unit... and made of carbon fiber instead of the black plastic used stock... on top of the carbon fiber, enough clear coat to make it nice and shiny... and makes the CF look like it's 6\" below the clear coat.

I've got CF inners and I love them. I'm in need of clearcoating them to get the depth back that is not there.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it done before summer is over.

Very disappointing, I'm sure. Just don't beat yourself up too much about it.
Shit happens. I once forgot to undo my security chain, took off-for about a foot-and bike shot to the ground. Crushed fairing support and cracked fairing. Idiot! But I got over it. Not too rationalize your disappointment, but metal and plastic can be replaced, at least no personal injuries.:mad:

Dammit dude, that really sucks. Hope you get the stuff you want to make the FZ like new.

Thanks though for posting. This is a good reminder for me to put a crushed beer can under the seat. Or the metal pad thing made for that purpose that I got from Geico at the NYC bike show. I usually drink V.O. so there's not often beer cans laying around in the recycleables here. Definitely can't be seen with a soda can under the bike and I don't think a bottle of V.O. will work. Now that summer is kicking in I should carry the pad with me.

Looks like the weather will finally cooperate for one of my "Sunrise Motorcycling" trips tomorrow. Family life has me tied down so much that sunrise on a weekend is prime time for me. No traffic at least. The rain here in NJ has been practically non-stop for over a month. So tomorrow in the a.m I'm doing at leat 150 miles before 8:30 when I have to get back to watch the kids. ARGHHH !!!

Ride Safe Guys!

Just realized, this post is especially important for me. I didn't think about it much but my only other bike (93 Yam Seca II 600 cc) had an extension arm off the kickstand which prevented the sinking into asphalt. Not so with the FZ1.

va_rider,

I have seen side stands sink in hot asphalt before, but I have never had a bike fall completely over yet. However after reading your post I bought a used side stand off ebay, and had a large washer welded to the bottom to increase the footprint area. I have not installed it on the bike yet….waiting for the paint to dry completely. Picture below:

Sidestand

Another idea for a sidestand pad that is very cheap. Take a hockey puck and use a router to carve out the center. Works great as long as you remember to use it. Yeah I know....leave it to a Candian to figure out more uses for a hockey puck.:laugh2:

Last edited:
Back