Snell '05 vs '10

Anyone know how big a difference there is between an '05 & '10 Snell certification?

From what I have read in the past the Snell 2010 certification is closer to the European standard that's in place now. They are not as strict as Snell 2005 standards. This will most likely mean that manufactures will be able to meet DOT, Snell 2010 and European standards with basically the same helmet.

Yea, I guess "less strict" was not the best choice of words to use, but you're correct in what you stated. That has been one of the chief complaints against the Snell 2005 standards for years now. The real world accident data didn't justify having helmets that were so strong and stiff, which in turn didn't absorb enough of the impact energy.

Last edited:
That is my understanding as well; the '10 standards more accurately reflect the types of impacts that occur in crashes as opposed to measuring the ability to withstand a certain amount of direct, oppositional force.

+1

I'm glad to see this change in SNELL standards. I'm no expert, however understanding just a little bit of physics and reading various discussions on this issue, the new standards make sense to me.
BTW, I'm hoping this means we'll see some, previously European ONLY helmet models, imported to the states with SNELL rating.

Last edited:
Back