Smoothing out power delivery

I've logged the first 300 miles on my 2013 and I'm noticing the the snatchy throttle and on/off power delivery. I'm a noob to this motorcycle and fi so bear with me. What is the best way to smooth it out? I am looking at Ivan's fce mostly as a solution. I really don't need any more power but I am looking to smooth it out and pick up what midrange I can. That being said will I benefit more by getting an ecu flash and pcv? Here's the catch I love my stock black can and am not ready to let it go. I haven't seen any maps for stock exhaust. I am willing however to gut the cat and change to an aftermarket air filter and or modify flies. I just want some opinions on what's beneficial and not with retaining stock exhaust. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At what revs are you experiencing the snatchy throttle?

If it's not at high revs (over 7K rpm) it could just be chain snatch or a loose throttle cable.

I suggest riding the bike stock for a few thousand klms and then you'll get a better idea of what you want and would have read plenty more info on here too.

The 16T front sprocket is a must IMHO as it helps in getting the bike off the line and helps with acceleration. The FZ1 is highly geared from factory.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Ballmead. Since your bike only has 300 miles on it I assume you are still in the breaking in stage and not tapping off the rev limiter yet. Fuel cut snatch is only felt in the higher rev range. I think a lot of people confuse drive line snatch with fuel cut snatch. I have a 2012 and can honestly say there is no fuel cut snatch, at least not that I can feel. Others may disagree. However, I would follow Ballmeads advice and check throttle cable and chain slack. When bikes are new, these things tend to stretch a lot the first few hundred miles.

Forgot to comment on the 16t. Like Ballmead, I have the 16/47 combo. I would do the sprocket change before I went any further with other mods. It might just be enough depending on your riding style. The 16/47 combo puts the gearing real close to a stock Ninja 1000. If it's good enough for the Ninja, it's good enough for the FZ. If you want to check how sprockets affect rpm's, go to gearing commander.com. The best thing about this mod is it's relatively cheap, and you definitely feel a difference in performance.

Any bike, stock or otherwise will benefit from some sort of fuel management. These bikes in stock form are extremely lean in some areas and overly rich in other areas. Look into a PC lll, PCV, or a juice box pro. All are very good fuel controllers, each offering different advantages over the other depending on what you want to do. The good thing is, if you decide to go with Ivan's ecu flash in the future, you will need one any way.

A lot of people do suspension mods before performance mods. It's hard to recommend any suspension mods without knowing your weight and riding style. I will say I am 180 lbs and do not ride overly aggressive. I do a lot of highway miles and find the stock suspension to be more than adequate for me. However I understand that the stock suspension is easily overwhelmed with more aggressive riding and if you are pushing the 200 lb mark or above.

Good luck. The FZ1 can be anything you want it to be with the proper mods. First decide how you want yo use it, then mod accordingly.

I weigh 200 and do not ride real aggressively also. I intend on using it purely as a bike to ride the twisties on no commuting and maybe a long trip here and there. Are there maps for stock bike with no mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of good maps for stock bikes. The power commander site has maps for stock bikes as does the Two Brothers site. You can also go to the FZ1OA site, they have a map pack that has plenty of maps for stock bikes.

The biggest mod I did was the rear shock. I replaced it with an 08 R1 shock and Satan's V4 adapter. I thought the stock shock was OK until I put in the R!. Big difference, no more pogoing and rough ride. Stock has no compression adjustment and limited damping. The R1 opens up the adjustability with both fast and slow compression, better damping and more pre-load settings. Best $140 I spent on the bike.

Also mine is a 2012 and I didn't even know what throttle snatch was and still have a difficult time finding it. My method of smoothing out the power is to work the wrist less vigorously. Smooth on grip, smooth on power.

Speaking of power commanders and exhausts. My buddy picked up a 2003 Buell Firebolt for real cheap. The owner had put on CF exhausts (maker unknown) and a "power commander". The bike ran like poo-poo. We pulled off the exhaust and put the stock back on and removed the power commander and the bike came alive, felt strong and rode well. Just because it's a performance upgrade unless used correctly it isn't.

Moral of the story is that unless you have a tuner that you trust with a dyno then you are at best guessing at the maps and settings which may even give you less performance than stock.

Speaking of power commanders and exhausts. My buddy picked up a 2003 Buell Firebolt for real cheap. The owner had put on CF exhausts (maker unknown) and a "power commander". The bike ran like poo-poo. We pulled off the exhaust and put the stock back on and removed the power commander and the bike came alive, felt strong and rode well. Just because it's a performance upgrade unless used correctly it isn't.

Moral of the story is that unless you have a tuner that you trust with a dyno then you are at best guessing at the maps and settings which may even give you less performance than stock.

Normally I would agree with you. However the FZ1 has been around for so long that the maps available have been tried over and over and over again and have been proven reliable with positive performance gains. Of course a dyno tune will be able to fine tune the map, but very often is not necessary.

Back