slip on question

mjfreuland

hey guys, ok so this isn't about my FZ, but i just sold a buddy of mine my old 2005 suzuki gs500f and he wants to put on a slip on. well i've looked at some on the internet and seen that it can be done. The only problem is that when i go to look at the stock can, it's just one big piece from the headers to the exhaust. there is no way to just "slip it on". it seems as though it needs to be cut or something to put one on. if anybody has experience in this area i'd really appreciate some help.

While I have never personally done this I will offer some advice. You can get a slip-on muffler that will fit over the existing exhaust pipe. You need to carefully measure and determine where to cut the existing muffler off. If by sore unfortunate coincidence the two pipes (existing exhaust and slip-on muffler) end up being the same diameter then you can use a band clamp to seal it. You can also have a local muffler shop weld it, but then you end up with a one piece exhaust again, which might not always be beneficial. Attached is a picture of the band clamp that I was referring to. This one is a straight one (in and out diameters the same), but they also come in different in/out combination.

Back