Slip-On or Full Exhaust?

I love the way my 08 FZ1 runs with the stock exhaust. Basically it runs perfect. Not a hiccup throughout the whole range. The endcan is ugly as sin, and I’m sure it weighs a ton. I’m wondering if I should replace just the endcan, or the whole system…. I’ve been reading around on the forum, and some think its normal for their bikes to be backfiring. I sold a 06 1000 GSXR that I’d put a full system on, along with a Powercommander and never had any backfires out of it on acceleration, or decal. I had removed the servo off that bike also. Is it because people are just putting on an exhaust without dynoing along with not adding a Powercommander or what? If I do just and endcan, is it best to remap? Anyone have a full system on, with the servo removed, and their bike runs perfectly? If so, did you remap? On a dyno? Or just add the Commander and a downloaded map, or what?

You seem to be very happy with the way the stock system works with seamless integration into the engine management system as it comes from the factory, it seems you just don't like the look of it. Yes, it's heavy but it isn't going to make any real difference in day to day riding, maybe at the track but not on the street. So your decision is, do you want to put either a slip on or full system on ($$ and effort to get it running right) or just live with the stock system. If you have an '08 you probably have silver heat shield and end cap on the muffler.....they can be made less visible if you paint them with a heat resistant paint you can find at any Walmart for a few bucks. I'm convinced a lot of people end up with machines running worse than the stock system but are too far into it to change back. Your choice, just depends on what you want and what is important to you.

You seem to be very happy with the way the stock system works with seamless integration into the engine management system as it comes from the factory, it seems you just don't like the look of it. Yes, it's heavy but it isn't going to make any real difference in day to day riding, maybe at the track but not on the street. So your decision is, do you want to put either a slip on or full system on ($$ and effort to get it running right) or just live with the stock system. If you have an '08 you probably have silver heat shield and end cap on the muffler.....they can be made less visible if you paint them with a heat resistant paint you can find at any Walmart for a few bucks. I'm convinced a lot of people end up with machines running worse than the stock system but are too far into it to change back. Your choice, just depends on what you want and what is important to you.

???? Stock, my 06 had snatchy fueling and weak midrange. After the "full package" (see my signature) treatment it now has proper liter bike power that is delivered in wonderful smoothness. There are very few bikes that respond as well to mods as the GenII. This is another way of saying that Yamaha seriously corked up the intake and exhaust and didn't do so well (particularly on the early bikes) with the fueling. I guarantee that you will notice 25hp more (over stock) at 7K on the street! . . . .
RiderJC, The full exhaust (the Yosh system in particular) fills out midrange nicely on the GenII. The mid dip in the power curve becomes a bulge. You also loose something like 18lbs with the switch. Check out this thread if you like . . .Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

Back