Slip on muffler

I just bought a used Jardine RT-One slip on for my 05 as the price was too perfect to pass up 75.00. Some one said i will need to rejett my carbs for a new muffler. https://titebike.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={17A1A588-F753-4C9A-BA5F-88CBD3F509F3}

Any information would be great, Thanks all

don't know much about it but i was told the same thing about my 2001 when i got a slip on. the bike was sluggish after the add on, and i never ended up getting the jet kit, but there could have been other reasons for the sluggishness of my bike too.

Your bike will lean out after the slip-on installation, but it will run. A jet kit is recommended, depending on altitude and ambient temperature your bike will react differently after installing one. Trust me, you and the bike will be much happier with one.

Be careful if you run TOO lean, you can run the risk of burning exhaust valves and other bad stuff. But I doubt just a slip on will cause that kind of issue. Happy modding!

From my experience, FI bikes are not affected nearly as much as a carbureted bike. The ECU will adjust fuel trims to compensate after installation of a slip on. Usually that is why you will see a "fluttering" idle after installing one, the ECU is learning.

But just like any bike, depending on how many "power" mods you do, aftermarket tuning solutions are always something to consider. But just to answer your question, bone stock bike, I doubt a remap is needed after an install for a genII. Mine runs great on stock map.

However, my genI did need a jet kit after installing a slip on, I didn't like the way it ran afterwards.

I think i have to have the carbs cleaned anyway when i twist on the throttle just a tat it chugs a little, But has been gettign better, So if i rejett it is there a recomondation on what stage jett i should do with it?

I think i have to have the carbs cleaned anyway when i twist on the throttle just a tat it chugs a little, But has been gettign better, So if i rejett it is there a recomondation on what stage jett i should do with it?

chugs? like hesitates and is somewhat un responsive from a dead stop? that's what mine does, so i really wonder if it is because of the absence of a jet kit. i should take that pipe off and put on the stock and find out if thet makes a difference. i've never rode it with the stock pipe.

chugs? like hesitates and is somewhat un responsive from a dead stop? that's what mine does, so i really wonder if it is because of the absence of a jet kit. i should take that pipe off and put on the stock and find out if thet makes a difference. i've never rode it with the stock pipe.

It started befor the pipe, it even leaked a little fuel, but has stoped some how. And with the little chug it does it forces me to take off a little faster (Also exahust smells rich) so i figure ill have the carbs cleanded and have a jett kit added, just not sure what stage or brand. Is a stage I what i should get and what will/does it do?

Last edited:
Stage I will be a safe bet. Depends on how much power you'd like to get out of the bike, and how many additional power mods you want to do.

Dale over at Holeshot make great jet kits, had the Stage I on my '02 FZ1 and had one of Dale's kits for my '01 Bandit. Haven't heard bad things about Ivan's kit either though.

No jetting is required.

But nice to have.
I have a GYTR slip on on a "02 with no other mods and I run perfectly. No hesitation, flat spots, surging.
The GYTR is also one of the least restrictive.
It doesn't matter with a slip-on anyways, because of the EXUP valve which restricts exhaust flow depending on RPM/trottle openings.
Your free flow exhaust will only be free flow when the valve is fully open at mid-high to high RPM.

It sounds like you guys with the Gen 1's have some carb probs...if your fixing might as well jet or just shim the needles and adjust a/f mixture.

This is the EXUP valve does, so slip-on should not greatly affect performance except at top end.:
EXUP (EXhaust Ultimate Power valve) is a device fitted to selected Yamaha motorcycles (FZR,YZF,XV1900,R series) that constantly adjusts the internal diameter of the exhaust system to suit engine revs. This ensures good low to mid-range performance for a linear power output all the way to the rev limiter. This is achieved by using an internal valve (similar to a butterfly valve) inside the exhaust at the point where the four pipes from the cylinders meet. Closing of the valve then creates a venturi effect inside the exhaust system, causing an increase in pressure on the engine side of the exhaust system. This increase in pressure results in greater exhaust velocity. A servo motor controlled by the ECU opens and shuts the valve. The EXUP valve operation goes from being almost fully closed at idle speed, through to being fully open at 9000 to 11000 RPM

But nice to have.
I have a GYTR slip on on a "02 with no other mods and I run perfectly. No hesitation, flat spots, surging.
The GYTR is also one of the least restrictive.
It doesn't matter with a slip-on anyways, because of the EXUP valve which restricts exhaust flow depending on RPM/trottle openings.
Your free flow exhaust will only be free flow when the valve is fully open at mid-high to high RPM.

You are correct sir, jetting is not required with just a slip-on - especially if the bike still runs and doesn't die (which it sounds like its not from the OP). But run right? May be a different question - especially when I had to factor in 6000ft ASL after my slip-on install.

I already have a BMC in waiting to do air box mod after working the carbs. I have a factory pro kit in my toolbox waiting to install but running so good right now don,t wnant to mess anything up...going up to the gap...parkway for a weekin 3 weeks.

You are correct sir, jetting is not required with just a slip-on - especially if the bike still runs and doesn't die (which it sounds like its not from the OP). But run right? May be a different question - especially when I had to factor in 6000ft ASL after my slip-on install.

You are also correct....I'm a flatlander, probably 5 feet above sea level, everything runs good here......
When I went to Colorado springs a couple years ago, I was huffing and puffing just walking up to the tee box.

I grew up in the Springs, its all normal to me :). I rode my genI down at sea level a few years back before I got rid of it... holy power wheelies Batman. I can't imagine what my current genII would be like down at sea level.

The chug is probably sync issues between the 4 carbs. As for the leak i had the same issue, turned out to be bad float needles and seats allowing to much fuel into the float bowls. Smell your oil, if the needls and seats are bad you will be able to smell fuel in your oil.

Back