slip on and cat removal

Hello everyone.

I have an 06 and would like to get a slip on exhaust. Would like to know if cat needs to be removed or is it ones choice?
I ask because I saw a vid on YouTube and the guy was installing an MIVV slipon and he gutted the cat and on other videos the cat isn't even mentioned.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello everyone.

I have an 06 and would like to get a slip on exhaust. Would like to know if cat needs to be removed or is it ones choice?
I ask because I saw a vid on YouTube and the guy was installing an MIVV slipon and he gutted the cat and on other videos the cat isn't even mentioned.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Definitely a choice. I installed a MIVV GP on my FZ (2009) and left the "cat" alone.

Leave it in! Think of the baby seals!

baby-harp-seal_78.jpg

It's your choice and it will probably make a minimal difference anyway. You're already removing the cat inside the stock muffler, not to mention losing at least 10-12 lbs in the process.

I just did a slip-on last Monday evening. You'll be able to see the cat when you remove the stock muffler. Copperdawg has a nice video showing how to do the job, though beware, he makes it look a bit easier and faster than it really is. It took me about an hour to remove the EXUP and install the slip-on.

I elected to leave my cat alone...hey, I like cats. :D But, I decided I can gut that cat later, or maybe go with a real header system like Arrow this winter and save the stock system for if we ever get emissions testing in my county.

The really big deal about this mod. is the weight reduction. That stock muffler could almost be a boat anchor. Actually, I need to weigh that sucker this weekend for laughs.

Good luck whichever way you go.

I just did a slip-on last Monday evening. You'll be able to see the cat when you remove the stock muffler. Copperdawg has a nice video showing how to do the job, though beware, he makes it look a bit easier and faster than it really is. It took me about an hour to remove the EXUP and install the slip-on.

I elected to leave my cat alone...hey, I like cats. :D But, I decided I can gut that cat later, or maybe go with a real header system like Arrow this winter and save the stock system for if we ever get emissions testing in my county.

The really big deal about this mod. is the weight reduction. That stock muffler could almost be a boat anchor. Actually, I need to weigh that sucker this weekend for laughs.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Great idea, the Arrow header looks and performs excellent and you can keep your stock header just in case.

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's your choice and it will probably make a minimal difference anyway. You're already removing the cat inside the stock muffler, not to mention losing at least 10-12 lbs in the process.

For fun, I weighed the stock muffler yesterday. It came in at 15.5 lbs. I would have guessed heavier just hauling it around the garage.

I know what you mean! It does feel heavier than 15.5 lbs. Now you should weigh your slip-on and see the weight savings.

Yeah, next time I need to have it off I will, but I'd guess it is around 4-5lbs. Noiser though, by quite a bit. In some situations it sounds really good, like when I am going up and down through the gears. But, if I am "droning" down the super-slab at 4500rpm for a while, it is a bit tiresome. Good ear pro is a must. This is a CF GYTR slip-on. I got is used and it could need a re-pack. Looks great compared to the stock muffler.

when I had my FZ1N I gutted the cat... I wish I didn't as I didn't get it tuned afterwards and notice slight hesitation on part throttle... It was really annoying after a while... I have a daytona 675 now and have a full after market exhaust system, no exup and no cat with proper dyno tune and now it runs super smooth

I had the GYTR CF and I gutted the CAT too.
It will increase your flow, and IMHO possibly keep the CF lasting longer from the less heat from the CAT that isnt there anymore.

Back