Silver Cowling Paint For 2002 FZ1

mgosset1

This Silver FZ1 Has some Cowling damage on upper sides...Previous owner bonded it smooth but would like to find some silver paint to spray over it...make it not quite so noticeable....Is Colorite the only place to find this paint....would a body shop be better....

This Silver FZ1 Has some Cowling damage on upper sides...Previous owner bonded it smooth but would like to find some silver paint to spray over it...make it not quite so noticeable....Is Colorite the only place to find this paint....would a body shop be better....

If you were going to spray it yourself, a reputable body shop would be able to mix you a Pint or Quart for you to do yourself. A friend of mine took the part to a guy who had a machine that he put on the surface of the part and automatically figured out the color for him. He then mixed the formula for him and sold it to him in the can. He then went and bought one of those aerosol kits where you just pour the paint into and spray. He also sold him the clearcoat as well. The aerosol tank is more than enough to do the whole bike if need be. I think it was a 24oz tank of air. I know he did an entire 68' Honda CB125 with it and it came out great!

I think your right on that deal....Gonna take it to a body shop and let them do the whole job....100 dollar bill would probably get it done right....worth it to me; I don't feel like messing with it...

I'd probably go to ColoRite and get a couple rattlecans of silver/base/clear or whatever they call for. If the piece is prepped well, you should be able to get a nice job. I tried talking to a body shop in my home town who had done some work for me and I was surprised how expensive it was going to be just to paint a tank. He said by the time he got the paint right and the tank's surface completely ready it was going to cost quite a bit, several hundred bucks. His argument was that they weren't really geared for mixing small quantites of paint and it would take as much time to do a little job like a tank as to do a hood, quarterpanel etc. I ended up doing it myself and as long as you take your time and find a clean place to paint, it's no big deal.

I'd probably go to ColoRite and get a couple rattlecans of silver/base/clear or whatever they call for. If the piece is prepped well, you should be able to get a nice job. I tried talking to a body shop in my home town who had done some work for me and I was surprised how expensive it was going to be just to paint a tank. He said by the time he got the paint right and the tank's surface completely ready it was going to cost quite a bit, several hundred bucks. His argument was that they weren't really geared for mixing small quantites of paint and it would take as much time to do a little job like a tank as to do a hood, quarterpanel etc. I ended up doing it myself and as long as you take your time and find a clean place to paint, it's no big deal.

I agree with you. Most body shops don't want to deal with the small jobs. It's just not worth it to them since they are making so little money on the job and still need to do it right.

Back