Sierra snow total pushing 700 inches this year-so far..

Damnation this has been a wet winter. Just up the hill from me(60 miles east) is Lake Tahoe. Snow totals at many of the Sierra ski resorts around Tahoe are closing in on 700 inches and it's snowing now :shaking head:

I can remember the resorts having close to 800 in 1982-83. I was still skiing then and in places they had to dig out the ski lifts. Northern Ca may have some flooding if it warms up too fast.

This just sucks, I live at 3000 feet and usually snow doesn't last at this elevation more than a week but this year it's slow to melt when we get it.
It was almost gone and we got 6 inches in 4 hours tonight :banghead:

For the record the most snow was 883 inches in 1907

That is a hell of a lot of snow!
I can't say Im not jealous of excellent ski conditions, but I must say our recent 70degree days here have made me forget all about it now that I'm back on the bike!

I live in Colorado Springs (about 1 hour south of Denver) and our snowfall in the city this year has been really low. I think the mountains have gotten quite a bit of snow but not sure how much.

Well it does pack and melt some between storms but it's well up to the second or 3rd story on many cabins in the Truckee area.

It's this kind of winter that did in the Donnor Party.

In my backyard (35 mi away) is the snowiest place on earth: Paradise on Mount Rainer, WA. But you've got Paradise beat this year by a wide margin. To date Paradise has 491 in. The average annual snowfall at Paradise is 680 in. Oh, yea, where I live (at 370 ft above sea level) we get about 8-10 in. Paradise sits at 5,000 ft. Makes all the difference in the world. :america:

I went out to Idaho in early March as snow has been thin and moody here in Michigan . I dont know exactly how much they have but it was plenty enough for us ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYyXkBH2IXM]YouTube - DSCN0133.MOV[/ame]

Back