Sidecar

OldDuffer

Alright I'm going to give this a whirl here. My wife wants to go along riding again after 18yrs, problem is the preteen kiddo has been riding with me since she was old enough to reach the pegs. Being an accountant and not one to, as she calls it, squander money on a second bike, she wants me to get a bike with a sidecar. Meaning get rid of the FZ and find something else. The last time I bought a bike to make her happy(Early Honda Shadow) I was real unhappy. Cutting to the chase. Does anyone here know of a way to get a sidecar setup for a GenII. I'm handy enough with a wrench, but I'm no fabriacator. I've seen a couple of GenI setups that looked doable but they were attached to the tube frame. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am happy with my current bike and that has not happened alot lately. Maybe that's why she wants to change things.:confused0024:

Suggest to her that studies have shown side cars to be unsafe, and contribute greatly to poor handling of the motorcycle. Suggest to her to get her own bike.

Been there

Thanks for putting in a post what I've been telling her. Get your own bike. I have no success in that arena. She has no interest in riding her own. The hack is what momma wants. I'll put effort into bringing it around, but if it's too much of a safety issue, she'll have to wait till kiddo gets old enough to ride her own bike. I prefer to take my daughter along anyway, she's a much better passenger.
Anyone heard of a GenII sidecar setup, anyone?

Last edited:
I've seen one, but it was completely custom.

The other option is to get a Spyder RS, they're quite fun and she should be comfy, and they're much safer than a side car. I'll have one in the future as my second bike, so I can take my wife or kids. My FZ is my baby and for me alone.

I know there's at least one company that makes them overseas. But, the costs are very high for a passenger sidecar (some are merely trunks to carry items). The quality ones (not for the FZ1) are running $5,500+ for the basic model and up to $12k for the all out deluxe.

Get her enrolled in the basic rider course and spend that money on a bike for her. :D

Thanks for the heads up on the European angle. Octupi, I've test ridden a Spider and was not all that jazzed on the handling. It also still leaves me one seat short. FZ, I have tried for years to get her on her own bike, no luck at all in that area. I'm going to check all the avenues I can. I'll post up if I come up with anything. Thanks for the help.

Even if you could do a side car on your FZ I doubt you would like your FZ anymore.
Here's a pic of my bud standing behind his 2 person side car attached to his Beemer. This is a full time addition and cost the big bucks. I have driven it, what a handful.
IMG_0002-3.jpg

Earlier that day we rode for over 2 hours between 19.5 -28 degrees but hey -no bugs;)

I hear Ural's are kinda fun :tup:

Hi Old Duffer. I have been pouring over this forum trying to gather information as to whether the FZ1 is a bike for me. Great information here.

I thought I would give back a little of what I have been getting. I ride a Ural. I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and it is hard to prepare yourself for just how different a sidecar motorcycle is. This is not a bad thing, it just puts it into a different league than a regular motorcycle.

Great for family outings, if you are not in a hurry. Can be ridden in the snow. People that you pass will always smile and wave. Very fun. But if you love riding motorcycles for the feel, keep your FZ1 and decide if adding something like a Ural would be the best way to satisfy your situation.

Dave

Back