Should I get a FZ1?

caesar

This will be my first bike ever and I really like the FZ series for it's upright seating so I was thinking about getting a FZ6 but I am 6'3" and 300# so some people say I need a 1000cc to cope with my extra weight. One guy said that the shocks would be better for my weight on a 1000cc than a 600cc. Is this true for the FZ bike? would the FZ1 have better shocks than the FZ6. To me they seem very similar and the only difference seems to be the power.

Also what about the frame size are they the same or is the FZ1 alot bigger?

The FZ1 is physically a bigger bike than the FZ6 and probably better suited for your size. Stock rear shock is pretty much junk and at your weight consider a replacement mandatory.

Whether you get a 1000 bike or a 600cc bike, you'll have to re-spring it... it's just a fact of life... I weigh in at about 250, and it's the same story for me...

that said, I have a buddy that rides a GSX-R 600 and he weighs in at about 340lbs... a smaller engined bike will be able to carry you around just fine. Don't think that you need a bigger engine and more HP just because of your physical size.... the ergo's may be better for your 6'3" frame on a physically larger bike, regardless of engine size.

So.. with all of that out of the way... what kind of riding do you plan on doing? For just something to learn on, I'd suggest you get something cheap and relatively light... like a KLR-650 ...

Whether you get a 1000 bike or a 600cc bike, you'll have to re-spring it... it's just a fact of life... I weigh in at about 250, and it's the same story for me...

that said, I have a buddy that rides a GSX-R 600 and he weighs in at about 340lbs... a smaller engined bike will be able to carry you around just fine. Don't think that you need a bigger engine and more HP just because of your physical size.... the ergo's may be better for your 6'3" frame on a physically larger bike, regardless of engine size.

So.. with all of that out of the way... what kind of riding do you plan on doing? For just something to learn on, I'd suggest you get something cheap and relatively light... like a KLR-650 ...

I agree. You may want to consider something like the VStrom 650. I think it will suit your size and weight as it sits tall. The FZ1 is a powerful bike for a first bike. Please keep this in mind.

i'm not hating on an FZ6 riders out there.. but the difference between the 6 and 1 is like night and day. Yes, they are both comfortable, and yes, they both certainly can get you from A to B, but the acceleration and speed on a 1000cc bike opposed to a 600cc bike, especially considering the fact that its the FZ6 and not a race-oriented bike, is unbelievably different. The FZ6 will top out around.. 130? depending on wind. I took the FZ1 in 4th gear to 147 about 20 mins ago.. They both are very friendly bikes, but the FZ1 can be an aggressive street bike when you want it to be. :tup:

Should you get an FZ1?......Absolutely.
Should you get and FZ1 as a first bike?......Absolutely not!!!!
The FZ1 is not a beginners motorcycle. KLR 650 is an excellent suggestion for a man your size IMO. Have yo done a motorcycle safety course? If not do so. Be safe...have fun.

Get yourself an FZ8. That would be a great compromise.
Plenty of power (but not too much) and big enough for your size.
Whatever you decide to buy, you will definitely need heavier springs.

Get yourself an FZ8. That would be a great compromise.
Plenty of power (but not too much) and big enough for your size.
Whatever you decide to buy, you will definitely need heavier springs.

You can get a new '09 FZ1 for about the same price as an '11 FZ8. I rode both and both have nice response off idle and fat midranges and good top end, but for the street price differential the FZ1 is a better buy, imo. Fully adjustable fork, fairing, more power is worth the extra $$ to me. That said, neither bike is suitable for a first bike, they are just too much power for a newbie. Start on a lesser machine and learn the ropes and then move up. It'll cost some $$ but you will be safer and enjoy the experience more.

You can get a new '09 FZ1 for about the same price as an '11 FZ8. I rode both and both have nice response off idle and fat midranges and good top end, but for the street price differential the FZ1 is a better buy, imo. Fully adjustable fork, fairing, more power is worth the extra $$ to me. That said, neither bike is suitable for a first bike, they are just too much power for a newbie. Start on a lesser machine and learn the ropes and then move up. It'll cost some $$ but you will be safer and enjoy the experience more.

Absolutely! The danger of a bile like the FZ1 for a new rider (well there's probably a lot, but the big one) is in turns. A little too much throttle and the bike will take you into the shoulder, or worse, the opposing lane. You literally have to adjust the throttle by millimeters and your clutch work should be silky smooth. This is second nature to everyone here and it will be second nature to you, but not right away. And if you mishandle either the throttle or the clutch even once that could be the last time as well.

With time, a miscalculation on the use of the controls on one side of the handlebars can frequently be corrected with the controls on the other side of the bars. But you haven't gotten there I suspect. The FZ1 will not likely be fettered by your large frame. And while the FZ1 is considered a forgiving bike compared to an R1 I assure you it is most unforgiving for a new rider who hasn't some innate ability. Some people on this board started on an FZ1 and did very well. But I'll go on record recommending against it. A more forgiving bike, like that mentioned above, will warm you to Professor Fizz.

Everything stated above sounds like good advice. When it comes to motorcycles I am a firm believer in working your way up the ranks and starting out small. While you can endanger yourself on any bike, going from nothing to a liter bike without prior experience, in my opinion, is a bad idea. No matter how foolish you think you'll look on a smaller bike, you will thank yourself later on down the road. Get yourself a smaller bike as some have suggested and take a safety course as well. Get a solid season or two under your belt and you'll see the natural progression to a larger bike will be so much easier on you. Your always welcomed here no matter which bike you decide to start on.

The Kawasaki ER & Versye series seem to be great beginners rides and do not cost a lot on the used market. For your first bike don't worry about it being something you fall head over heals for. Look for something that has readily available parts and cheap body work. I don't want to Jinx you but stuff happens. You will be gald when it happens on something that is cheap and easy to fix.

Thanks guys for your help... This is the whole reason why I posted here. When I go to the dealerships they say "hey big fella you need a busa" and I'm like NO! that's too much power for me this is MY FIRST BIKE!!! and then they make is sound like there is nothing that can be done to put me on a smaller bike. They even say stuff like you control the throttle and how fast you go and I say "what happens if I slip?" anyways enough about the dealerships...

Yes I have taken a safety course and earned my king of the parking lots badge. So now I need to work on riding between parking lots ;) Personally I really like the FZ6 that's the bike that seem to fit me really well. You sit up straight its not too powerful and it looks good so if all I need is some new springs I think I will end up with that. I do not know all of the different models yet so this is the first time I heard of the V-STROM series but I will take a look at those too. I don't like the KLR-650 so those are out.

I know I shouldn't care about what it looks like but I do and I can't change that. I am sure you guys had the same problem when getting your first bike. anyways I think the FZ6 or VSTROM will be a happy medium for me. BTW how much is it to re-spring a bike?

Thanks guys for your help... This is the whole reason why I posted here. When I go to the dealerships they say "hey big fella you need a busa" and I'm like NO! that's too much power for me this is MY FIRST BIKE!!! and then they make is sound like there is nothing that can be done to put me on a smaller bike. They even say stuff like you control the throttle and how fast you go and I say "what happens if I slip?" anyways enough about the dealerships...

Yes I have taken a safety course and earned my king of the parking lots badge. So now I need to work on riding between parking lots ;) Personally I really like the FZ6 that's the bike that seem to fit me really well. You sit up straight its not too powerful and it looks good so if all I need is some new springs I think I will end up with that. I do not know all of the different models yet so this is the first time I heard of the V-STROM series but I will take a look at those too. I don't like the KLR-650 so those are out.

I know I shouldn't care about what it looks like but I do and I can't change that. I am sure you guys had the same problem when getting your first bike. anyways I think the FZ6 or VSTROM will be a happy medium for me. BTW how much is it to re-spring a bike?

FZ6 is a great choice for you. I like the fully faired version. As for your spring, I would join up on the sister site (FZ6 Forum), and look in the "mods" section to see what, if any, rear shock can fit in there. I know that Lee at Traxxion will re-valve and re-spring a rear shock to your weight and requirements but I'm not sure about the stock FZ6 Shock. You can check out the other forum by hitting the link in the upper lefthand corner of our site page here. Let us know how it goes and best of luck!

It depends. If you're a crazy psycho go for the FZ6, if you're leveled minded and know your limitations and are willing to take it slow until your skills catch up to your bike, get the FZ1. Take it slow and under no circumstances try to keep up with your buddies. I just started ridding October 2010, I was advised to go with the FZ6, found a ton of them on Craigs but not too many FZ1's. I decided that I could be careful while learning got excellent ridding gear (< EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!) and bought my FZ1. I haven't looked back once. Another point is gas mileage, FZ6 will give you more MPG with obvious trade-offs but with your size I'd go for the FZ1, I've seen way too many guys out there that look like donkey kong in his little race car. But really looks don't matter. You should buy the bike that you feel comfortable with period.

This will be my first bike ever and I really like the FZ series for it's upright seating so I was thinking about getting a FZ6 but I am 6'3" and 300# so some people say I need a 1000cc to cope with my extra weight. One guy said that the shocks would be better for my weight on a 1000cc than a 600cc. Is this true for the FZ bike? would the FZ1 have better shocks than the FZ6. To me they seem very similar and the only difference seems to be the power.

Also what about the frame size are they the same or is the FZ1 alot bigger?

Last edited:
My first bike was a CBF1000. Its a nice bike and also very smooth. But not as powerfull. So all the benefits of a 1000cc bike with a little bit lees of the danger. The CBF1000 is also a very forgiving bike.

PS: i also choose a 1000cc as my first bike because I am not one of the smallest.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Personally I really like the FZ6 that's the bike that seem to fit me really well. You sit up straight its not too powerful and it looks good so if all I need is some new springs I think I will end up with that. I do not know all of the different models yet so this is the first time I heard of the V-STROM series but I will take a look at those too. I don't like the KLR-650 so those are out.

I traded my FZ6 for the FZ1 so can address a few things. First, the FZ6's throttle response down low (from stop and low speeds) leaves much to be desired. There is little power and low speed control requires a deft touch of throttle and clutch. It's not bad, but is one of the reasons Yamaha dropped the FZ6 in favor of the FZ6R. The FZ6 has plenty of top end power but you can't really use it on the street, the FZ6R makes less pwer but is far more tractable on real world conditions. You may want to check it out as it would make a better first bike than the FZ6, imo. As a new rider you want to learn control and road craft, the power piece can come later once you have learned the basics of bike control.

go with what you like but id stay away from big cc bikes for your first ride.... im 6'2 240 and started with a GS500. yeah i got made fun of but it was a learner. try to get something that holds its resale value a lil too ( even though bike dont at all anyways). move up the ranks when your comfortable! and take a MSF course!

If you have a good, firm, solid, unmistakable, and remarkable connection between your right wrist and what hides beneath your helmet then by all means, go with whatever bike you want for a starter. The FZ1 though, for a liter bike, can be very tame or extremely aggressive. So, if you even remotely think that you'll get that wild-eye and ham-fist the throttle even once before you have a few thousand miles of practice, please don't consider the FZ1 and go with the V Strom or something of those likes. This bike is not one to take lightly... :D

Back