Should I buy a FZ1?

I have an opportunity to trade my 09 FZ6R & 08 Burgman 650 in on a 09 FZ1. The Dealer says he is ready to work with me. (I guess sales are slow). My wife says I am too big for the FZ6R (I do yearn for more power) and the Burgman is very nice but I really want a sporty bike to ride and I can't afford 2 bikes anymore. I have test rode the FZ1 before I bought the FZ6R and thought I really like it but maybe I need to have a less powerful bike to start out with. Well less than 8 months later I feel I need more power. I know I would be sacrificing mpg but I need a bike that can support a bigger guy. I am 6' 230lbs and the "R" seems to bog down a bit. How is it on the highway? Is it a good all around bike? Please let me know the pros and cons you have experienced since I could do this trade as early as next week.

Last edited:
Well first I would suggest that if you have only been riding for as long as you have had the FZ6r then consider that the FZ1 has a lot of power for a new rider. If you down shift on the highway you will have more power and that may be all you need to do. That said, I have known guys to start off on the FJR 1300 and were fine, they were able to excersize some throttle control though.

Other than that you are a good sized dude, perhaps an FZ1 in in your future :)

I have never ridden an FZ6, so no personal experience on it. The salesperson at a local bike shop that I like to talk to encouraged me not to get an FZ6 so I never tried one out. I think there are some other members on this forum that have FZ6 experience and even some the same height or close. I went from a 2006 FJR to a 2008 FZ1. I have only ridden my FZ1 400 miles since I got it at the end of December 2009. I would be suprised if you did not find the FZ1 much more powerful than the FZ6. I really like the handling of the FZ1. I have also had a 2004 Honda Silverwing and I feel much safer with the riding position on a motorcycle than I did on a scooter.

I have an opportunity to trade my 09 FZ6R & 08 Burgman 650 in on a 09 FZ1. The Dealer says he is ready to work with me. (I guess sales are slow). My wife says I am too big for the FZ6R (I do yearn for more power) and the Burgman is very nice but I really want a sporty bike to ride and I can't afford 2 bikes anymore. I have test rode the FZ1 before I bought the FZ6R and thought I really like it but maybe I need to have a less powerful bike to start out with. Well less than 8 months later I feel I need more power. I know I would be sacrificing mpg but I need a bike that can support a bigger guy. I am 6' 230lbs and the "R" seems to bog down a bit. How is it on the highway? Is it a good all around bike? Please let me know the pros and cons you have experienced since I could do this trade as early as next week.

Welcome Wenmark! While I own a GenI (01-05), I can't tell you about the 09' model other than what I have seen and heard. The GenII bikes are fuel injected of course, and have a sportier seating position than the GenI bikes. Power is up a little bit on the second generation bikes and mods are plentiful. The suspension on the GenII bikes, specifically the rear, is probably the only difference between the two generation of bikes. The rear shock on the GenI can be revalved to suit a more aggresive rider where the GenII rear can not. It's not a deal breaker though. I ride with a few guys here on the forum and I'd say that in our group, a little over half the guys have GenII bikes and can put a bunch of miles in a day with little discomfort. A better saddle will help you and the misses out immensely for longer rides. Power is okay down low but as soon as the tach passes 7 or 8 grand, you had better be holding on! Overall it's a great bike with gobs of power, good looks, and super reliability. You certainly won't regret trading in your rides for a brand new FZ1, thats for sure. Others will chime in soon, hopefully some GenII guys to add to the list of likes and dislikes. Thanks for joining and hope to see you back here with pics of your new FZ1. Take care and ride safe!

I think you'll be fine on a FZ1. My question to you would be, "how in the world did you ever fit on a FZ6?". I'm only 5'6" and 150 lbs and when I tried a FZ6 I felt it was way too small for me. Most of my motorcycles have been physically larger than the FZ1 and I still feel like it's very small for larger riders. Just because a bike has a lot of power doesn't necessarily mean it's right for larger riders. If I were you, I'd ask the dealer if he would let me take the FZ1 for a ride. Then decide for yourself.

Hey Wenmark! Glad to see you over here!

I've preached this before on the sister sites when the question comes up and it looks like the guys are right on track. Throttle control. Do you have it? Can you stop yourself from twisting? WOT on the FZ6R is easily doable, even for some beginners. WOT on the FZ1 is a whole new beast. Trouble happens fast. So, if you can control the wrist and keep the link between the brain and the right hand together, then you'll do fine on the FZ1.

I'm 5' 10" and 230 with all the gear. My wife has the FZ6R, I came from both the '05 and '08 FZ6 bikes and now ride the FZ1. But, I've also been on and off two wheels for 34 years now. The FZ6R is lacking in a lot of departments, especially for a bigger guy. When I say this, I am solely speaking to "Power to Weight Ratio" This was one of the reasons I left the FZ6 and moved on to the FZ1. I could have dropped 30 pounds and been happy with the FZ6 with that single aspect (but I'm a lazy American). The other factors were brakes (lack of) and non-adjustable suspension. After adding up all the dollars and time involved to make an FZ6 a "big boy toy" well, I was fast approaching the FZ1.

The FZ1 has proven to be the bike I've always wanted. Sport riding is perfect! She falls into the corners so easily! Adjustable suspension, though I still need to dial it in for me. Touring... I can load the bike with all the stuff I want, park my carcass on her and have all the oomph I need to get her through any hill or valley.

One of the best things about the bike is how cheap you can do a lot of mods. Half of them are free. And a slip-on exhaust? Half the cost of the FZ6 and almost 1/3rd the cost of the FZ6R.

I really love this bike and don't regret trading at all. It can be tough to control that throttle. You really need to start slow on her and learn to respect her. One wrong move is a really bad day. :D

I have the 2009 FZ1 after starting on a Kawi 650 for 6 mo. For me the the first time I wound out 1-3 gears getting on the Hwy I couldn't believe the power especially from 8K-12K RPM. It will get you in trouble quickly if you aren't careful. I have about 4K on the bike now and totally love it. You can put hard bags on it and go touring style or take it to the track.

Welcome Wenmark. I have an '08 FZ1 with about 150 miles on it now. I'm 5'-8" and tip the scales at 285 with gear. (Let's just pretend I'm wearing 100 lbs of gear):embarrased: I have been riding for 30+ years. I have been hitting WOT since this bike had about 50 miles on the clock. That is full throttle, not full RPM. I've been short shifting and keeping it below 6000 RPM as prescribed in the owners manual for break in. This will provide what I consider fairly brisk acceleration but I don't consider it excessive. This seems to be working pretty good for me as I get used to the new bike. I cannot talk about what happens in the higher RPM ranges since I haven't had it there yet. I assume you are talking about a new bike but even if you are not, keep out of the upper RPM range and I think you will find it manageable. As everyone has said, throttle control is the key. Be respectful of the power and it is an awesome motorcycle. It is comfortable, more nimble than I would have guessed, powerful and damn good looking. The more I ride it the more I think it is the perfect bike. If I had the arm and leg length that goes with a 6' frame I'm sure it would be absolutely perfect for me.

Again, respect the power.

Roy

Just remember one thing.....Throttle control is everything on the FZ1 and any other liter bike. If you don't respect the throttle, it could be your face in this photo!............
6000_143514019815_568284815_3322985.jpg

So remember! It's all in the throttle hand!:sport12:

Hey Wenmark

I bought my FZ1 on Halloween night 09. I have almost 4K on it now. I'm a big guy too and commute everyday here in So Cal.

It's gonna take a f**king plastic surgeon to get the smile off my face!

Steve

:cheers:

Buy it...but make sure you're getting a good deal. I paid 6999 for my '08 so trading in 2 bikes for 1 seems a bit weird unless you owe a decent amount on both.

Pros:
1) Fun as hell to ride
2) plenty of power
3) comfortable as hell
4) looks great and it gets even better looking with a few mods
5) Did I mention it's fun as hell to ride ?

Cons:
1) Can't think of any right now except I wish it had a slightly better range but I'm getting 41mpg in winter so it can only improve with warmer weather so scratch this as a con.

Cons:
1) Can't think of any right now except I wish it had a slightly better range but I'm getting 41mpg in winter so it can only improve with warmer weather so scratch this as a con.

As the tarmac warms up, I would be very surprised to see the fuel economy go up....I predict a marginal to rapid decline but a HUGE GRIN to show for it.....

I can get 45 miles OR I can get around 32 -- either way I'm having FUN!

Hell YES

Asking any of us if the FZ 1 is a good all round bike is like asking a 600 lb. man how he is enjoying the buffet. Did anyone who bought this bike really care how the fuel economy was, I know that I did not even consider that.

Is this the best bike that I have ever ridden, never mind owned ? Absolutely !
My mileage is measured in T.P.M. (thrills per mile).

I am a bit smaller than you at 5'11" and 185lbs. and other than putting a bit better seat on for the long rides the bike is perfect. The seat may or may not class as a con.

I have logged the majority of my miles on the highway and it handles long days just fine. I added a bit taller windshield once the cold weather set in and like it so much I can't see going back.

Would I recomend the FZ-1 to another motorcyclist? 1 word, YES.

If you've been riding your bikes, you love the FZ1. Just take you time getting use to it's personality.

However, even with good throttle control, to po-po around here will light me up if I let them sneak up on me. Last weds I was coming home from the twistie loop, on the slab, sleeping behind traffic, and po pulled me over five freakin lanes to check my license. Said my plate was dirty.

Last month, sti went off. I chop, sit behind traffic. Signal went off. I swear, all I did was BARELY rolled on into the No 1 lane and there he was. Did a visual stop, said I was must've been doing 70.

He knew I had radar. Turned his off, then got me. Tricky po-po.

Here's the deal. Bikes come with tickets. Kinda fun, once you get use to being stopped all the time. Wish my mirrors were better.

I should add that I've never had a ticket in a cage. But been stopped on a bike about 20 times in 5/6 years, most stops in the last year because of squid stuff upsetting the cagers. So po blames me for the newbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember one thing.....Throttle control is everything on the FZ1 and any other liter bike. If you don't respect the throttle, it could be your face in this photo!............
6000_143514019815_568284815_3322985.jpg

So remember! It's all in the throttle hand!:sport12:

All you needed with that photo is the opening music from Dragnet. Great picture Billy !:spank2: Now let that be a lesson to you young man. :waiting:

Thanks to all for all the great input. I have been riding on and off for a number of years and I do believe I need this bike to round me out. When I test drove one last year I was awed with the power (definitely has my respect) and thought I would hold off and start of with the FZ6R, but I think I'm ready to graduate. The dealer was kind of steering me towards the street/speed triple as an upgrade, but I really like the FZ's they just kind of fit my style.

best bike ever

I've had my 08 fz1 since my birthday in october of 08, and it was the best choice of my young life. After riding an 05 gs500 for a couple years i needed a jump. before i ever thought i would really get an fz1 I saw the streetfighter version on the web. it was gorgeous! and now i've got one. not a single thing wrong with the bike, but the only problem for me is that i wish my arms were a tad bit longer.....great choice though, i would definitely trade those other two for this one

Go to Kelly Blue Book(kbb.com). Check the prices(trade-in and retail) to make sure you're getting a fair trade. cyclecost.com gives dealer cost info, but costs $14.99. If you can sell your bikes to an individual you may get more than if you trade. Being a GA resident you don't pay sales tax if you buy from an individual in or out of GA. Lastly, craiglook.com searches country wide for anything on craigslist. I paid $5600 for an 08 FZ1 with 183 miles on it. Lots of bikes out there, lots of motivated sellers. Good luck.

P.S. Yes, move up to an FZ1.

Fz1

The Burgman is a strange animal indeed.... but it has its following, and some people want this car/bike seating or need it because of mabe back problems and still wanting to ride and not give up biking. So I wouldn't dismiss it as only something to sweeten the pot in a trade, they are a 'destination' bike/scooter for some. Just owning one would lend me to believe that your likely to be a bit conservative. Having said that, I think you'd do well trying to off it in the private sector, keep more of your $'s for you instead of the dealer, possably trade the FZ6 in and go from there. I believe you will quickly learn your capabilities on the FZ1 without incident, you will have to, but it's very acomidating if you exersize some decorum. The biggest challange is throttle, and it can be docile if you use it sparingly, or it can be tripple digit in seconds, and not many seconds at that. Fortunatly the FZ1 was gifted with some of the BEST brakes in the biking world, one finger things. One finger with a very modest pull will slow you down as fast or faster than you could accelerate the bike, were not talking 'stoppies' of anything rare, just neat easy controllable stops, no drama. Would I turn my 23 year old Daughter loose with one.......... well honestly, I'd rather not, but she could handle it I believe. As far as aquiring one, I'd go used.... one that had 2-3-4K on the clock, with NO rash or points of drama or repair. Something that, ....

well someone is trading for something faster, as is often times done when the FZ1 is mastered, which honestly is an oxymoron. The power of a litre bike is something one comes to apreciate in doses, small at first, then as the feeling of comfort and control improves, a bit more of pushing the envelope. It won't all happen the first day, heak ...no. It will be acumulative, over a space in time. I'm just concerned that your deal with the dealer is not much in your favor, stick to a conservative mindset, don't fall into 'Igot'a have it yesterday', instead take this time to study the bike (FZ1) and find the quirks, the mods people are doing, the whys of the mods, it'll give you some idea of the shortfalls of the FZ......which are fiew. You don't have to be 'speed-racer' on one, it would be sufficient for a tourer too.

Your a neighbor as your avitar proclaims in your location, and I'm aware of the roads and riding that awaits you in the South. And I'll have to say, it's one of the best kept secrets down here (our roads) and the twisties, and mild temperment of the drivers. In about a month or so, when you start feeling comfortable with the FZ1, you will find yourself feeling quite capable, and that feeling will grow in epifanies, time and again, your skills on 'this' bike will improve considerably. You will find that just having the power will be suficient to do a lot of grinning and smirking at would-be rasers goading you for some action. I'd recomend the Gen.2. Get one and be easy for a fiew days, slowly find out how it feels in the leans, how it brakes, how it does on the bumpy junk roads, the fuel mileage , all the little stuff, because one day soon you will be able to twist the throttle wide and know what your doing.......[/COLOR][/FONT]

Back