Shoei Qwest or Shoei RF-1100 Helmet

whatevva

Qwest is touring and vents better when your head is straight up. RF-1100 vents better with head down. Our bikes seem to be somewhere in the middle with stock bars...which way would you go?

(Qwest is about $50 cheaper, but that's not a factor to me)

Make sure you try them both on ! I have and the RF 1100 fits me perfectly.
The Quest was uncomfortable for me. Let YOUR head decide :)

I found the Quest to tight in a large and too loose in X-large and the fit in general just wrong for MY head shape.

I was just going to ask about shape between the two as I was under the impression they were different.

I don't think the Qwest fits me but the RF-1100 does. Quite well, too

Qwest is oval shaped and the RF series fit more round heads. :D RF would be my first choice but either one is awesome.

Here's a chart and info from web bike world about helmet shape and fit...
bell-curve.jpg

Both the Qwest and RF-1100 are listed in their 'neutral' category. I find the RF-1100 fits me a bit better, but I could be happy with either. I have an RF-1100 and am thrilled with it. Try them both on.

attachment.php

As far as venting, I think of the Qwest as more for full upright like a cruiser or goldwing, the X-12 as the full race tuck kind for super sport bikes, R1, ZX-10, etc and the RF-1100 as somewhere in between like the FZ1. I think you'll find lots of air movement from both, but more airflow with the RF-1100 (and even more with the X-12). In contrast, you'll find the Qwest quieter. The RF-1100 has better graphic choices if that matters to you.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way, as long as the helmet fits you. I have an RF-1100 in a 2XL and really should have the XL with thinner cheek pads. Look for the helmet to fit the top of your head and worry about the cheek pads later. They will break down a bit after a few rides and you can buy thinner cheek pads later if you need to.

If they both fit you fine, then choose based on other factors:
Quiet, easier to open and close vents, a little less air movement = Qwest
moves lots of air, little more noisy, better graphics = RF-1100

Also, if you have other motorcycles or plan to get another, think about the riding position of those. :2cents:

Thanks Troy. I actually got it backwards anyway! The Qwest is more round than the RF series. While both listed as neutral, the Qwest will fit the rounder head better than the RF.

RevZilla said:
Highly anticipated and long-awaited, the Shoei Qwest Helmet arrives as a direct competitor with the Arai RX-Q. Shoei is positioning this helmet as a long-distance touring version of the mega-popular Shoei RF-1100 Helmet. They re-positioned the ventilation system to accommodate an upright riding position and changed the ergonomics of the fit to create a helmet that any long-distance tourer will appreciate. Check out our full HD review of the helmet below:

Shoei Qwest Helmet Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube

As mentioned above, the shape of the Shoei Qwest Helmet is different than the RF-1100. It is slightly rounder and more along the lines of the RX-Q. In doing so, this helmet is able to accommodate a wider array of riders and also provides ample space for the mouthpiece of a bluetooth communicator, keeping in mind that many touring riders love those. It also is a full 1.2 dB quieter than the RF-1100 when riding at highway speeds. This comes as a result of the repositioning of the ventilation, which, as I said, is designed to flow the most air when riding upright. The difference in noise-level and how much quieter this lid is becomes quite noticeable when hitting highway speeds.

Four different shell sizes are utilized for a total of seven helmet sizes (2XS-2XL) for precise fit and maximum compactness. It weighs in at an average of 3.6 pounds which is relatively light for a helmet designed for long distance touring. The AIM+ shell fuses a blend of Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber & Dyneema together for lightweight performance coupled with remarkable strength. It utilizes the same shield as the RF-1100 and X-12 as well which is the CW-1, a mist-retardant anti-fog shield that features tool-free quick release and spring-loaded detents for a firm seal against the top gasket providing superior rain protection.

The Qwest has great balance and weight distribution. The ergonomics and aerodynamics are well thought-out. It flows a great deal of air for the touring rider and, well, it's a Shoei helmet so you know what to expect. This helmet is going to be an absolute home run.

I have tried (and owned both). In the end I went for the Qwest as it fit me better and was cheaper...a win win situation for me.

I think the RF-1100 vents a little better, but that makes it a little noisier as well. Other than that they are both great helmets.

I LOVE the lock on the Qwest... the third position is to crack the visor for venting. NICE!!

Not nice? Cannot remove the top liner.... RF-1100 is now my choice. ;)

Last edited:
Thanx Guys!! I have an older RF and it fits just fine, but color scheme doesn't match the new bike. I saw the qwest and wasn't sure which way to go. For me, more air take precedence over noise level, so I just ordered a new RF-1100.

Thanx Again!

Thanx Guys!! I have an older RF and it fits just fine, but color scheme doesn't match the new bike. I saw the qwest and wasn't sure which way to go. For me, more air take precedence over noise level, so I just ordered a new RF-1100.

Thanx Again!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the RF-1100. Let us know what design you get. Competition accessories usually has good pricing for the RF-1100, but I haven't checked recently. I expect to see some pictures of the new lid. Don't forget to save a few $'s for a pinloc shield and insert. They are so worth it. I love the mirrored shields, but they are very pricy. I paid about $400 each for our RF-1100's over a year ago.

My wife rides an '09 Ninja 250r and went from an old Shoei RF-200 to a new RF-1100 and was shocked at the differences. hehehe

RF-200
8447j21_23.jpeg

RF-1100 Diabolic Divinity
shoei_rf1100_diabolic_divinity_helmets.jpg

I'm sure you'll be happy with the RF-1100. Let us know what design you get.

I gave up trying to find a helmet to match the paint color so I ordered the Matte Black to match the frame, from Rocky Mountain. I try to order everything from them because I get money back at the end of the year in the form of a gift certificate. $100 last year!

I gave up trying to find a helmet to match the paint color so I ordered the Matte Black to match the frame, from Rocky Mountain. I try to order everything from them because I get money back at the end of the year in the form of a gift certificate. $100 last year!

Yeah, I couldn't really find a color that matched the bike too well either, so I just got a black and white pattern with some iridescent and a flaming skull on the back. I don't think they make it anymore. It was the diabolic revelation...

helmets-shoei-street-2010-rf-1100-diabolic-revelation.jpg

5434862428_50c2743bbb.jpg

Last edited:
How do these compare to other helmets as far as wind noise? I have a Scorpion exo 500 and the noise above 70 is just too much, I like to listen to tunes while riding and answer a call now and then. Currently looking for a replacement.

How do these compare to other helmets as far as wind noise? I have a Scorpion exo 500 and the noise above 70 is just too much, I like to listen to tunes while riding and answer a call now and then. Currently looking for a replacement.

Well the Qwest is fairly quiet. I never listen to music while riding, but my Scala Rider G4 bike to bike communicator works well up to about 80-85 MPH...

Just for reference I also have a Scorpio EXO 700 and that one is much louder on the highway. One thing to note is that if your helmet doesn't have a chin curtain go ahead and get one. It will help with the wind noise.

Just as a point of reference: I went from an Arai Vector to a Scorpion EXO-400 and found that it was much, much quieter at speed. The 500 is supposed to improve on that so I find your comments interesting. I'm considering switching to a 500 this year some time.

Mind you, I almost always wear earplugs unless I'm just going a few miles in the city somewhere for errands or to work.

Sorry my bad :embarrased: I am running the 900 not a 500. The flip up option leads to more noise. I like the option just not the noise. I do ride with ear plugs if more than a short run. I will order a chin curtian and see if that helps.

now if only shoei would include the safety cheek release tabs (found on the X12) on the rf-1100. :wow:

even thirty years back a rf-1100 saved my head from looking like a egg dropped from 20 feet. :woot:

so my money will always go for a shoei. :sport12:

Back