Shipping an FZ1

I am in the process of buying the beautiful 2003 FZ1 listed in this forum. I have never shipped a bike before and it needs to go from Indiana to Vermont. Does anyone here have experience with motorcycle shippers and an idea of the general cost, things to look out for, etc?
Any help is appreciated.
Gary

I'll answer your question first: shipping a bike is expensive. $500 would be a bargain. You'd probably be looking at the $700 range, and $1000 isn't unthinkable, depending on your timeframe and flexibility (willing to drive to, say, Albany to pick it up?). Given that an '03 FZ1 is probably only worth $3-4k, that's a hell of an added cost. I flat-out wouldn't recommend shipping it unless you've got oodles of money to burn.

Have you at least seen the bike in person? It's generally a bad idea to buy a bike sight-unseen and have it shipped to you unless you're very familiar with the seller.

Beyond that, unless you're really concerned about mileage, there's no shame in flying out there and riding the bike home. Indiana->Vermont isn't THAT far and can be done in a weekend pretty easily. Of course, the weather right now isn't very conducive to riding. If the buyer can't hang on to it until the spring, then I suppose you'll have to ship it. There are plenty of reputable shipping companies out there (just google them). The main thing you want is insurance with ZERO deductible if your bike will be transported in an open trailer. You probably want that even in an enclosed trailer, too. Depending on how the bikes are stored on the trailer, yours might be scratched up as they load/unload other bikes around yours. Get good, high quality photos of the whole bike from the seller before they load it up. Take another set of quality photos *before* they unload the bike. Beyond that, you'll probably be set.

Shipping a bike is no big deal if you use the right carrier. You should budget around $500-$600.

I would tell you who shipped my bike, but I am on the road and have no access to the paperwork until the weekend.

I'll answer your question first: shipping a bike is expensive. $500 would be a bargain. You'd probably be looking at the $700 range, and $1000 isn't unthinkable, depending on your timeframe and flexibility (willing to drive to, say, Albany to pick it up?). Given that an '03 FZ1 is probably only worth $3-4k, that's a hell of an added cost. I flat-out wouldn't recommend shipping it unless you've got oodles of money to burn.

Have you at least seen the bike in person? It's generally a bad idea to buy a bike sight-unseen and have it shipped to you unless you're very familiar with the seller.

Beyond that, unless you're really concerned about mileage, there's no shame in flying out there and riding the bike home. Indiana->Vermont isn't THAT far and can be done in a weekend pretty easily. Of course, the weather right now isn't very conducive to riding. If the buyer can't hang on to it until the spring, then I suppose you'll have to ship it. There are plenty of reputable shipping companies out there (just google them). The main thing you want is insurance with ZERO deductible if your bike will be transported in an open trailer. You probably want that even in an enclosed trailer, too. Depending on how the bikes are stored on the trailer, yours might be scratched up as they load/unload other bikes around yours. Get good, high quality photos of the whole bike from the seller before they load it up. Take another set of quality photos *before* they unload the bike. Beyond that, you'll probably be set.

thanks Pre all good points. The miles from IA to VT is a bit high for me but a great idea...
Thx
Gary

Thanks guys for the quick replies

Thank you all for your input, Jared your company was the winner for my shipment. Thanks again.
Gary
Soon to be FZ1 owner

I hope you didn't get this deal on craigslist ;)

I would personally look elsewhere instead of shipping... look in the 300 mile radius range and something better will come. spend your money on a newer bike ;)

Bon Jour IB - thanks for clarifying that for the group and Yes the seller is an upstanding guy. Hey you are just up the road from me maybe we can catch up for a ride in VT or PQ this year.
Gary Ouellette

Thank you all for your input, Jared your company was the winner for my shipment. Thanks again.
Gary
Soon to be FZ1 owner

terminal to terminal shipping is super cheap for them. i think the cheapest time i used em was shipping my old magna from albuquerque to seattle and it was around 375

Nooooo no Craigslist deal here. Bought from a reputable guy who was spoken for by several FZ1 forum users. Thanks for the concern though and I agree with what you are saying.

Bon Jour IB - thanks for clarifying that for the group and Yes the seller is an upstanding guy. Hey you are just up the road from me maybe we can catch up for a ride in VT or PQ this year.
Gary Ouellette

Sure thing, Gary!
Just waiting on a bit of sunshine to make the white stuff vanish.

Back