Shinko's.....

Well we all know theres a couple forums we frequent for the FZ1's, but I prefer this one for the laid back ambiance that seems to exist. I'v learned a bunch in just a fiew days here on an assortment of topics. The other 'guys' were discussing Shenko's but didn't say much, at least not in the realm of information I was looking for. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Shenko's were Korean cheeseball cheap economy tires, junky tires..... I saw guys on other forums, Bad Weather Bikers (Buell), flame these tires as the worst...... but never thought much about them, but that it stuck in my mind that they were nothing I'd buy or want, it was an accident waiting to happen as it were. Well I'm open for comments about these tires, what do you guys think? It seems that the guys that were useing these tires were racing track days and flaming them in a couple track days, so the quick wear was offset by the cheaper price. I guess the bottom line is.....do they stick?? And do they enspire confidence?
ps. I'll add that either way, I won't be useing these tires but was just currious about them as they have been with us for a couple years now.

Last edited:
Let me say... I've heard some guys RAVE about how great the Shinkos were, and how well they stuck.... then I rode with these guys running Shinkos and well... no wonder they stuck well.. corners that I was taking at 80mph, they were taking at 30mph...

now, don't get me wrong, everyone should ride their own ride... and if 30mph was the limit of their capabilities, then more power to them for not going faster.... but... it really depends on your riding style... for you and me, the Pirelli Corsa III's or Bridgestone BT016's might grip great.... for people a little faster, they might slide all over the road, and they have to go to the Pirelli Supercorsa Dragon SC1's or Bridgestone BT002's.... Meanwhile, Rossi looks at those tires and laughs...

I suppose the point is.... we all require different levels of tires for the type of riding we do... I used to run much softer tires.... until my riding style improved greatly... then I could use a bit harder tire, as I wasn't upsetting the bike as much with harsh movements and abrupt inputs.... smooth=fast but also smooth provides more traction and better tire wear.

But.... I wouldn't put Shinko's on my bike if you paid me.

Grin........I suspected as much......lol...

Yea, the price should have been the first clue...lol. Seriously I know someone that put them on their FZ1 and they are not happy with them at all. The profile is all wrong and just don't inspire confidence. About the only good thing that I'll say about them is that they're round and hold air :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

I have Shinkos 005's tire on my 2003 FZ1 and I don't like them...

Lets just say...grip is horrible and hard. First gear past 8k rpm they spin... My FZ1 is completely stock...

At first I thought it was my clutch but someone noticed the tire spinning lol...

Put a bit more $ and get the Michelin Pilot Power, they are worth it (treadwear and grip)

Tires

Yokohama is a brand name that we all know but their Japanese plant was destroyed in an earthquake "about" 10 years ago.

Shinko, a Korean company, bought the factory equipment and the rights and formulations for the tires and moved the production facilities to Korea.

As I understand it, the original Japanese engineers still do the technical and design work in Japan but the production is all done in Korea.

Nothing wrong with this one. I'm accustomed to being passed at 300 MPH in the corners. My speedo is calibrated different.

Now, don't get me wrong, everyone should ride their own ride... and if 30mph was the limit of their capabilities, then more power to them for not going faster.... but... it really depends on your riding style... for you and me.

Well, some of us are faster; up to 3 times faster.

Lets just say...grip is horrible and hard. First gear past 8k rpm they spin... My FZ1 is completely stock...

I have that problem too. I just don't get past 8k rpm on slick surfaces all that too often. If at all. Or ever.

It just could be that your bike puts out a lot of more power than mine does.

Last edited:
Back