Shifting w/o clutch?

So today I'm just riding around, my usual schedule and I came up on the guy with an R1. So he takes off normal but he shifts twice without clutch, is that normal for those bikes o do that? I know he didn't use clutch because his left hand was clearly across the tank as he was leaning on the tank. Just asking.

BTW I just put 2 new PR 2 on my bike today so I'm just getting them scuffed up.

kinda like shifting a car w/o the clutch. If you have the right engine speed for the gear, it'll fall right into the next higher (usually) sometimes lower gear.

it is about matching the ideal engine speed to the gear.....if you go at a faster pace, you'll miss the gear and have to resort to pulling in the clutch lever....

I do it sometimes..

If you do it right, there should be no harm done to anything. However, I normally will not do that form 1-2 or 2-1 as I dont like going past neutral with no clutch.

It depends, I'm 50/50. Just preload the shift lever with your toes, close the throttle a tiny bit and knock it in. It's very sweet and smooth.

kinda like shifting a car w/o the clutch. If you have the right engine speed for the gear, it'll fall right into the next higher (usually) sometimes lower gear.

it is about matching the ideal engine speed to the gear.....if you go at a faster pace, you'll miss the gear and have to resort to pulling in the clutch lever....

Not really like shifting a car w/o the clutch at all. With a car you only have a very small RPM window where this is possible and you're still putting pressure and wear on the synchronizers.

It depends, I'm 50/50. Just preload the shift lever with your toes, close the throttle a tiny bit and knock it in. It's very sweet and smooth.

Motorcycle transmissions are different. As Hellgate states all that is needed for it to go into the next gear as your shifting up is to momentarily unload the transmission gears by slightly closing the throttle. This is basically the same technique used by the aftermarket quick shifters, except that they momentarily interrupt the ignition to unload the transmission.

If you've never tried it before I suggest you try it at lower RPMs (5-6k) until you get the hang of it. By the way I never use the clutch when going WOT up through the gears and it's fun :D

I haven't tried it but have felt a few times that clutch was unnecessary to shift. Also, my dad is a mechanic and says you really can shift any standard transmission without a clutch in an emergency, however, if you mistime it, you'll grind the transmission gears...I don't know if that is the case with the FZ1, but if it is, then that doesn't sound like something I want to do habitually. Does any one know if that is the case?

Thanks for all the responses. I've owned manual xsmn cars since 95 when I learned to drive and I can tell you, you're not doing that on a car all through the gears :), but I will try this on my bike just out of curiosity since a few of you on here have done it. I was just curious since I've haven't seen that before. Maybe because I always ride alone haha

I do it with my Sterling work truck, My car, & my cycle when im not paying attention to the shifting, its became a habbit of mine sence i drive my work truck. But yes you have to be careful or you will grind the gears and be forced to use the cluch.

It's a good thing to practice just so you get to know how to do it in case of emergencies. I had to use this method one time when I sprained my wrist while on a ride. I don't know what I did, but it was extremely painful to pull the clutch for every shift and I was 200 miles away from home. So for the ride home, I only used the clutch when stopped at a light.

I also use this method when I'm getting tired like that guy in the OP's first post on the R1. Not so much on my FZ1, but on my CBR because of the seating position I get tired after a while so I prop myself up on the tank with my left arm lol.

Well I just came back from a ride and it was a flop. Didn't work, maybe I didn't hit it hard enough. Going back out again, so watchout for my next post "Guys I f**ked it up" lol

I do much of the time - except downshifting into 1 - that can be a little rough.

Hellgate described it well - give a little upward pressure with your toe, (it won't shift until your engine speed is where it needs to be), swiftly roll off a bit until it slips up a gear and roll it back on. You have to do this pretty fast to keep from slowing down too much.

Same for down shifting - downward pressure, rev a bit higher until it drops in and voila - engine braking!

Last edited:
Ive been doing it for years. I have never used a clutch shifting up in a wheelie. The technique is very simple and when done right will do NO damage to the tranny.

It is a simple roll off throttle and toe up at once then right back on the throttle. If you dont roll off it will jam in hard. You do everything you do when using the clutch except use the clutch.

Dynojet Quick Shifters are the bomb.

No doubt! They are so cool. For those who haven't used one, keep her pinned to redline, then shift! The motor make this too cool "ta, ta, ta, ta, ta" sound at 14,500 (R6) and the bike just launches!

I changed from GP back to STD and I'll be selling my Pull QS to buy a Push QS, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the responses. I've owned manual xsmn cars since 95 when I learned to drive and I can tell you, you're not doing that on a car all through the gears :), but I will try this on my bike just out of curiosity since a few of you on here have done it. I was just curious since I've haven't seen that before. Maybe because I always ride alone haha

XSMN??? What's that???

The price of the dynojet quick shift just doesn't seem worth the cash they want for it. Just lift up and preload the shifter, flick your wrist and smile. You'll find the up shifts are ez at any rev and gear 2-6 are simple.

Back