Shifting on the FZ1

did not notice any oil on the wheel or swing arm, the location of the filter makes a mess on the headers though when you remove the filter.

Your chain cleaning method sounds good. If too much stuff goes on the chain, then the chain sprays all over the bike.

Oil filter. Yeah, oil over the header. Once I get the new filter on, I spray down that area, and the oil filter area, with lotta simple green. The green dries up and falls off, taking dirt with it. You'll still get the burning smell upon first ride.

Your chain cleaning method sounds good. If too much stuff goes on the chain, then the chain sprays all over the bike.

Oil filter. Yeah, oil over the header. Once I get the new filter on, I spray down that area, and the oil filter area, with lotta simple green. The green dries up and falls off, taking dirt with it. You'll still get the burning smell upon first ride.

There was a thread some time ago regarding this. Easy fix, use some tin foil to cover the header. make a kind of trough by folding edges up and any stray oil runs down the foil and into the waiting pan. No oil to burn off that way. No stink, no staining, no having to clean.

Oh - My - God.

Remember, I just started riding in September. I never knew I could do this. Riding home was . .. fast and entertaining today.

You guys are responsible for any new speeding tickets. Just an FYI.

Wow I am right there with you. I have only had the bike about a month and found is much more "touchy" shifting gears than my last bike, especially two up. Tried clutchless shifting on the way home from work tonight and WOW! Easy, so smooth, and normal highway speeds seem ridiculously slow now. Couldn't get the grin off my face the whole ride home.

Great bike, love it.

My previous bike, Honda 919 was a lot more forgiving and smoothshifting up or down. I find with my '10 FZ1 I have to be a bit more deliberate with my shifting to get smooth clunk-less changing when underway. Waiting a few seconds with the lever pulled in after leaving a dead stop helps as well as starting with the lever pulled in to avoid that initial thwack.

Last edited:
Back