Share your tips for camping/touring

This coming spring will find myself along with many others wanting to tour on our bikes, and since this is the FZ1 Forum, we'll asume that the majority of us will be on our FZ's. With that in mind, how's about telling us about your experiances with touring on the FZ. And what might be the best kind of luggage and equiptment to aquire for outdoor camping at days end. It would be interesting what type of tent , sleeping bag, cooking and other hygene maintenance equiptment that you have learned is invaluable for this kind of travel. How much clothing, raingear etc. I'd suppose many of us have an idea of what would be nessesary, but then too, some of us may over-pack with things that will ultimatly find little use. Experiance is the best teacher in this areana. Myself, I intend to utalize the 'Speed-pack Wide' system with optional tent bag, and possably a tankbag. Along with these necesities another often-times overlooked item and the core of travel is ....Tires. Tires with the load carrying capacity of all this additional weight. What are your choices for this? Other items of interest might be camcorder mounts and GPS. Heated clothing or accessories that the FZ1 electrical system has sufficient power to support. So, for those of you that have a trip or two under your belts, it would be tremendiously appreciated if you would share your experiances with us.

camping gear

I will very shortly compile a complete list for the next long camping trip, (10 days).
To avoid overpacking keep clothing to a minimum as you can always stop at a laundrymat at one point in the trip (usually the halfway point) pack small specialty towel like a micro fiber one. Tents , no bigger than a two man one are small and light,(you are on a bike remember) but do bring a "footprint" or ground cloth that fits your tent. An extra (lightweight) tarp and rope if you have even a chance of rain during camping. This can save you packing a wet tent in the morning and make a rainy night enjoyable. LED camplight, small, easy to pack and of sufficient power to enable setting up camp in the dark, or doing repairs at night( a good one is bright and can last for up to 10 days of constant use). Self inflating air mattress and light but warm sleeping bag with a dry-sac to pack it in. Raingear is a must, if you don't bring it you WILL need it. For the north Bearspray(the big one)with a belt holder and a good hunting knife. A 12 guage marine flare pistol can save your butt should you meet a big harry bear or Sasquach and won't get you arrested in Canada. A small,(but useful) first aid kit and good bug spray(small can). Remember the number of days and don't overpack anything including toiletries, use sample size everthing and a compact toothbrush. You can,(unless you are wilderness - backcountry camping) always buy what you forgot. A compact digital camera as the new ones take great pictures. Ignore that part if photoes are the reason that you are camping, (then a Canon 5D mark II and all the gear). Don't forget footware for when you take off the riding boots for the day, ( Riding boots and swim trunks just look silly)and a hat /cap to cover/hide helmet head. A sweatshirt / hoodie for nights around the campfire, and speaking of that a lighter. Most important a great bottle of scotch(at least for me). I also pack a microfiber cloth and a can of "plexus" spray for cleaning bugs off the helmet and bike at days end,(pledge works for this too). Don't forget a plastic bag for this cloth as it will stink up the rest of your gear if packed with it. A handful of Zip ties and your chain lube and a sidestand puck/ support( crushed tin can works).
For long rides that go to uncivilised (lacking facilities) places bring a roll of T.P. in a plastic bag, remember"the road less traveled doesn't have toilet paper."
High tech under garments that prevent odor, wick away sweat and dry extremely fast when washed are a great way to save room when packing. Padded bicycle shorts add comfort and stamina to any ride.

More to come
I found some excellent links that have lists better than I could come up with so here:
http://www.micapeak.com/info/mclist.html
Camping Guide - Bill Johns' Excellent Motorcycle Camping Guide | WetLeather Motorcycle Rider Information
Mixed MEDIA/Sound RIDER! - Book, CD & DVD - Packing Light, Packing Right FREE SHIPPING
Index of /camping

Of course if you are on a GEN2 then one of these amazing racks would come in handy...I wonder who makes them?!:laugh2:

Last edited:
Excellent topic Gohot229 and excellent reply Oldschool.

I'll be doing my first motorcycle camping trip in May so I am I'm trying to save money to fund some GIVI cases and SW Motech racks. We will be covering several thousand miles into the mountains of the eastern central US during the course of a week of riding.

A Harley Davidson, a Roadstar and the black sheep of the group... my FZ1!

I can imediatly see some advantages to Givi's and that is the waterproof nature of the beast, along with the ability for two-up, where my 'Speed-bag' configuration lends itself more towards a solo rider, but as I intend to travel in this mode it suits my pourposes perfectly. However it might in a way provide me with a backrest of sorts depending upon my arangement of additional luggage.

If I could give you some advice from a guy who's 60, been riding for 46 years, and tours every summer (usually for two or more weeks), unless you are really into camping, leave the tent at home and just use inexpensive motels. You can get a decent Motel6 or Motel8 or equivalent for 35-45 bucks if you just look. If you double-up or better triple-up you cut your costs way down. I always carry a motel6 brochure which shows all the country wide sites by state so I can calculate when and where it's a good plac to stay. By using motels, the cost is only barely more thn a campsite unless you are totally out in the sticks and you'll have laundry services at most and a cup of coffee in the morning waiting for you. I switched to Motels from camping back in the early 80's when I got tired of carrying way too much crap with me just to put a "roof" over my head and a "bed" under me at night. The coup d'etet was outside Denver in the high mountains in July when we got back to our campsite and both of our sleeping bags had been stolen. Haven't tried camping since and I'm too damned old to do it now. The best plus of all is that after a full day of riding/touring you can get a room, lay down in a dry warm bed, watch a little TV news, get up on the weather, and be prepared for what the next day has in store.

necessary maintenance items for your bike....tools/chain maintenance items (cleaner/lube)/contact numbers for local bike shops in the area of your route (hard copy in the event of limited cell service)/.....

We will be mixing our trip up with both staying at hotels and doing a little camping. You just can't replicate sitting around a camp fire with old friends and talking about the good ol days! But, I do understand what you mean about people stealing things. Its a shame. I can guarantee I wont be setting up my NEMO tent and leaving it anywhere! It costs way too much to risk having it stolen! Luckily it packs up nice and small, will fit into the locking luggage, and sets up in under 10 minutes.

I think mixing camping and hotelling for long trips is the best idea. Back in 2004 when I rode from CA to PA to attend the WoW Ride-In, we stayed exclusively in hotels. The lady I was riding with didn't like the cheap ones so we ended up in $100/nite places. It was nice but each morning as I ate my "free" continental breakfast, I felt as if my money was wasted.

I just didn't like spending so much money for 8 to 10 hours. Maybe it's the analyst in me, but $13/hr for a bed just wasn't good bang for the buck. Most campsites charge around $25 per night (if you stay away from KOA) and offer similar amenities to what I actually used while at the hotel. Spending that much on a hotel moves you into creep zone where you can't be sure just how clean your room/bed is. I won't even discuss boondocking or urban camping which one can do easier on the west coast (using the BLM lands) than on the east coast where there are too many damned people.

As I contemplate what my sleeping accommodations will be for my North American Tour next year (yes I have decided I WILL do it), I compare the cost of outfitting myself for solo camping (buying new tent, luggage, cooking implements, etc) to staying in hotel rooms each night. I will still come out with more money to spend on touring if I camp more nights than stay in a hotel.

I have camped before but mostly not on my motorcycle. My moto camping experience is limited to TWO and doesn't really apply to the journey I envision. If you already have camping supplies then you just need to make sure they fit your cycle. Other than my sleeping bag, I will need another tent and possibly stove with cooking kit. There is a quality vs cost element to consider when buying these items.

For the short term, I lean towards cost. I'll buy an inexpensive item to determine if my usage justifies the expensive one. Sometimes I am surprised by the quality of the inexpensive item and don't have to replace it. That is the theory I'll be using when purchasing moto specific camp stuff.

Another thing, the Dollar store is your friend. I bought a bungee net at the dollar tree and it was better quality than the $7 I spent on one at a motorcycle shop. The dollar store also sells small bottles that you can use to reduce the size of some every day items. You can get something like 10 toothbrushes for a dollar too!

For the long journey, I think one should consider being prepared to cook their own food at times rather than relying on eating out. There have been days where I've ridden places on day trips, gotten hungry, and was disappointed by a mediocre meal. At those times, I wished I'd just packed my stove and went to the store. To me, a mediocre meal I prepare is better than one in a restaurant. When thinking about a stove, there are different types of fuel to consider. I'm still trying to determine which is best but I currently have a propane stove. The bottles are big but last a long time. They may not be perfect for moto camping.

I plan to use this year to get my "kit" right. I hope to moto camp at least once a month, starting with trying to stay in as many state parks as I can.

I've decided to stick with soft luggage because I like being able to remove it and having the bike in it's natural state. That and the cost of hard luggage is tremendous for my Gen 1 (less money spent = more riding days for me). I recently priced hard luggage and the best deal I came up with was $637 for Givi mounts and E45 side cases at Solo Moto Parts or $619 for Shad luggage--a combo of luggage from powersportsuperstore.com and mounts from premiercyclesaccessories.com. Since I already have a fieldsheer tank and tail bag, I can spend and extra $100 to get the expander saddle bags.

Finally, to figure the costs of the trip, I've found these links:

Trip Planner Standard v4

Trip Planner Metric v4

The American Trip 2010

Holiday Costs Cheat Sheet

Last edited:
I always bring some zip ties and ziplock bags.

Zip ties can come in handy for may things. Including holding body work together after an accident.

If you get a few of those super large zip lock bags they are great for stuffing with the dirt laundry and keep the stink off the rest of your gear. In the rain... That same large bag is great to keep moisture off a clean set of clothes. A smaller zip loc bag is great for keeping all the little electronics, tools and maps you may be carrying with you dry.

The List

For the next excursion upcoming I have begun to refine the list. I will actually scale every last item once it is assembled. The trip is for the riding so weight is to be kept to an absolute minimum in order to not handicap the machine.
The Equipment List:

· 3 man 3 season tent, titanium pegs: http://www.mountainhardwear.ca/en-CA/Product.aspx?top=2115&prod=3958&cat=2139&viewAll=False
· 12’ by12’ nylon tarp
· 100’ nylon 500lb guy rope with “figure 9” hooks (4)
· Dry bag for the above (30L)
· Sleeping bag (0 degree) with waterproof stuff sack
· Thermarest self inflating pad
· Inflatable pillow
· LED flashlight (6”) AA cellX2
· Hunting knife
· Bear spray (32oz.) with holster
· Camping axe (Gerber, 18” handle), extremely light
· Marine Flare Pistol (12 gauge 6 rounds)
· Micro torch (Butane)
· Plexus spray (6oz.), plastic lens cleaner
· Micro fiber cloth and plastic zip lock bag
· Bug Spray (6oz.)
· Chain lube (6oz.)
· Kerosene (small bottle and toothbrush and rag in zip lock bag)
· Camera tripod (lightweight)
· Digital PS Nikon Camera
Digital SLR (T1i)
· Destination Highways, BC book
· Rainsuit (2 pce.)
· Sun Glasses
· ID in waterproof case
· Clear face shield for helmet
· Cell phone with charger
· Spare key for bike attached to bike (out of sight)
· Tire gauge (small)
· Breaker bar and 32mm socket (optional)
· Cable chain and lock (to secure Alpinestar suit when not wearing)
· Toiletries
Camp soap (all purpose)
Toothpaste (sample size)
Travel toothbrush
Floss
Deodorant
Viseen eye drops
Q-tips (travel pack)
Comb
Shaver (fully charged) or just go Grisly Adams
Kleenex (travel pack)
Band-Aids large size "if a band-aid won't do it you probably need an emergency room"
Micro fiber wash cloth
Micro fiber towel
·Runners
·Clothing:
Convertible zip off leg black nylon pants
2 cotton t-shirts
2 pair sport socks
1 pair briefs
1 cotton hoodie
1 baseball cap

This does not include what I will be wearing once geared up for the ride: Under armour top and bottom, back guard, gloves, boots and the RC-1 suit.

Last edited:
If I could give you some advice from a guy who's 60, been riding for 46 years, and tours every summer (usually for two or more weeks), unless you are really into camping, leave the tent at home and just use inexpensive motels. You can get a decent Motel6 or Motel8 or equivalent for 35-45 bucks if you just look.

+1

I would also add that if you bring your own sleeping bag, you can use it on top of the mattress. There have been specials on TV about how pervasive bed-bugs and lice are even in the high-end establishments. This special also used a black light to show how much built-up blood, semen, and dried urine is crusted on the top blanket that the eye can't detect.

frown.gif

I try to park the bike in front of the room. I bring a motorcycle cover with a front-wheel disc alarm to discourage any vandals. If I can't park it in front of the room, the front-desk will usually allow you to park it next to their 24 hour office.

Finally, some motels also include a continental breakfast, so that is one less $meal$ to worry about.

sport12.gif

Fred

Well, I absolutely could not afford the $700+ necessary to get a set of hard bags and racks for my upcoming trip, so I am opting to try out an idea perfected by another FZ1 owner. I bought a spare seat to remove the cover and bolt the seat pan directly to the bottom of a Pelican (Storm) case. If the case ever gets here (it was out of stock when ordered) I will try to add some pics once I get it mounted. Cost $220 ($70 for the seat pan and $150 for the Storm case). This will give me a nice lockable waterproof trunk to hold my tent, sleeping bag, and other gear. I can strap a duffle or tail bag on the top for my clothing.

I'v noticed quite a stirr over this idea on the forums, one guy posted his configuration and it took off, seems a good idea for the Gen.2 rider

I posted a link to a seat mounted hard case for seats like the gen 1 in the Mod forum under gen 1. I plan on doing one in the next couple of months. I will post pics here and a detailed report on my blog.

Last edited:
New "Home away from home"

In preparation for the epic journey in July:http://www.998cc.org/forum/touring-traveling/4234-2010-late-july.html#post15688 I have purchased my new tent by Mountain Hardware, the; Drifter2 a new for 2010 model, Mountain Hardwear Canada: Camp : Drifter 2

It replaces a 3 person tent that has served me well for over 25 years, but that I had doubts about for the wet weather that I am sure to run into. I hope not, but the odds are against me.

The new tent is over 1 lb. lighter (than its predesessor) and has 2 vestibules and two exits. It came with a nice 1 x 1,1/2 ' cargo net for the ceiling. Good for a light, etc. It cost $175.00 on sale, Regular $200.00

One of the considerations was the aluminum poles and clip system. The poles clip into the corners, thick nylone straps with brass grommets for the tapered pole ends (no sleeves to put the poles through), then stand up the poles and clip the center carbiner clip over where the poles cross. Then attach the remaining clips and pull over the fly. I could do it in the dark, which has happened. Ease of set up is a big plus. They are gauranteed waterproof in ridiculous amounts of water, another big plus. the quality of all the straps, clips, poles, zippers and pulls, and tent material was better than the North Face tents.

Drifter2.jpg

Last edited:
I'v seen pictures of clubs or folks in Europe en-mass camping in tents and Motorcycles, it looked like just another sport. There were some pretty neat tents, some with an awning piece where the bike could be parked out of the weather, some when folded up and stored, might not be too big to haul on a bike. Well this cruise I started talking about in this thread is quickly aproaching, so quickly it's going to be now or never. :)

I'v seen pictures of clubs or folks in Europe en-mass camping in tents and Motorcycles, it looked like just another sport. There were some pretty neat tents, some with an awning piece where the bike could be parked out of the weather, some when folded up and stored, might not be too big to haul on a bike. Well this cruise I started talking about in this thread is quickly aproaching, so quickly it's going to be now or never. :)

The cost of the tent does not rise as the tent gets bigger. You tend to pay more for the light weight ones that are easy to backpack. There was a tent that stood 7' tall and was big enough to comfortably park the FZ inside (with the hard bags on), with a door plenty big to drive into. It was on sale for $149.00. The draw back was the pack size and the fact that it weighed nearly 20 lbs. It was 9' on a side.

If you are not packing much else It would be an option. I really like my bike but I don't want to take it to bed with me! :laugh2::eek5:

Oldschool,

What type of luggage rack do you have for your GIVI sidecases? I noticed that they aren't attached to the handrails which I like.

Thanks

Brog

Givi plr

Oldschool,

What type of luggage rack do you have for your GIVI sidecases? I noticed that they aren't attached to the handrails which I like.

Thanks

Brog

They are the GIVI PLR racks. They attach to the subframe, the passenger pegs and the stock fender.

Back