Service Manual

Well, my birthday came and I got my service manual I've been waiting for for the past five months. I usually try to get my manual as soon as I get a bike but this time I waited till my honey could get it for me. It looks like a fairly well written manual but it's not as detailed as some I've had. I'd rather feel like the author thinks I'm twelve years old than to see that whoever wrote it assumes I already know how the thing was built. One thing I really loved about Harley manuals was that when it comes to taking something apart or off the bike they will tell you in exact order what comes off first, second, third, and so-on. I've often found with Japanese manuals they don't pay that much attention to the exact order that certain parts must come off before others, in order to make the process a bit easier. I do know that at least I'll have all the proper diagrams when it comes to figuring out where all those parts should go.

Yeah, mine just came in handy this am.....but I do agree with you on the limited information that is sometimes given when trying to reach the end result.

Guess it is a model for efficiency, that if you can't figure it out, then you don't need to be in there anyway.

BroHay

You may just have something there. If they can figure that you have some experience to begin with then you are also less likely to screw something up. I'm sure you know as well as I do that just going from one model of something to another can create complications not expected and that bit f familiarity can create problems by itself when you toss in a few assumptions about a process.

You're talking about the official Yamaha service manual? There appears to be a few different service manuals for the Gen II out there, right?

Yup. As service manuals go, Yamaha produces the most pathetic one's I've seen and tried to use. Not much good unless the most cluttered and complicated exploded parts drawings on earth are what you want. The FJR manual is equally pathetic and fundamentally useless, except as a reference and guide to all the part numbers.

Yes, I'm talking about the Genuine Yamaha $100 manual. It's not a bad anual, but in my opinion they could do a better job at giving step by step instructions on some of the service jobs. I suppose once you have gotten into the thing it's easier.

Back