serious mechanical help!

02 fz1

my motor has no AIS and i need help because when i try to start it im not getting fuel. cleaned carbs, it has spark, it has compression. should i see fuel coming from the carbs when i give it some throttle while trying to start it? wht makes the diaphram move up and down?? am i missing some vaccuum hose somewhere?? it starts for a second with starting fluid. and when im trying to start it cylinder 1 and 4 pipes are warm but 2 and 3 arent. i really need your guys help. thanx

other things. the bike does have a fuel pump, but under normal conditions, it'll be able to gravity feed enough to fill the bowls and at the very least, it'll be able to idle....

a check to see if it's getting gas is to open the drain on the bottom of one of the carb bowls... if fuel comes out, it's at least getting gas to the carbs....

taking a few steps back though, when did this start? did it start out of the blue? or when you jetted / cleaned the carbs?

petcock is open and it is getting fuel in all four bowls. never heard this motor run except on starting fluid. also after trying to start a good bit pulle plugs and there dry.

hmmm... how have you checked to see that you're getting spark?

Edit - Cause the plain and simple is... if it's getting gas, and getting spark... it'll run.... if the plugs are dry, the gas isn't making it to the combustion chamber.

One more thought.... how old is the gas? You might need to drain the tank, refill with fresh gas... change the plugs.. and then it'll fire.

another thought... did you clean the carbs? if so, did you verify the correct settings on the air screws / main jet sizes / etc?

If the carb settings / float height / air screws / etc are way off, the bowls would still fill, but the gas wouldn't make it to the combustion chamber.

Is there a jet kit installed? if someone incorrectly tried to install an Ivan's kit, they may have overdrilled or drilled a carb incorrectly, and caused irreversible damage....

sounds ok. plugs came from the dealer but the fuel thing is whats got me. should i see fuel coming from the carbs when im trying to start it?? and what makes the diaphram and needle move up and down?

The throttle cable makes the needles and slides move up, springs on the carb and in the diaphragm make them go down.

Just because the dealer gave you the plugs, doesn't necessarily mea that they're right... they should be CR9E plugs.

If the air screws are closed all of the way, gas will still flow from the bowls to the mains, but without air to mix with... combustion can't happen... but in this case... the plugs would be wet.

the plugs are cr9e. ok so when i do give it throttle the slides and needles dont move. but when i blow into the 2 vent lines on top the slides move wich made me wonder about vacuum.

thats what im wondering. with no AIS the carbs dont have any lines from the motor to it. also i know this sounds stupid but when i put the carbs back on i only put 2 screws back on the boots. one at each end beause there so dificult to get to. unless theres a trick i dont know about. is it that sensitive it wouldnt work????

check your hose routing....

beforedrilling.jpg

floatbowlsremoved.jpg

Back