Self defense or ???

I have seen this discussed on some other forums.

From current reports I beleive that he used excessive force. I think he executed them rather than just stopping a threat. He waited to long to report the incident. I also think there is a lot more to this story that has not yet come out and I will withold my judgement until it does.

Sounds like these kids weren't that outstanding. What kind of girl hears shots and continues into a house? What kind of kids are involved in B&E's. I agree there will be more brought to light over this incident.

Based on available info, he was in his rights to kill both of them. From personal experience you don't have time to think. "oh maybe they aren't that dangerous I'll just shoot them in the leg". Most people are panicky, terrified and running on instinct in that situation. You don't know what people are capable of, especially after they break in your house. You shoot to kill period. They broke in, and payed the price. Did he handle things badly, yes. Is he a backwards dip nut, yes. Should he get murder charges, no. At the end of the day if they were such good people they wouldn't have been in that situation. That's my 2 cents.

As I said I don't think he handled it correctly but you don't shoot to mame, you shoot to kill. If they get out alive they'll be trying to sue you... I'm sure there is more to the story but the whole truth will likely never come out. Like they say there are 3 sides to each story. Side A Side B and then the truth. Except side B didn't get to tell theirs here...

In my book if someone hit hard and run to call the cops, this is self defense. But if someone A keep beating on someone B or/and C just to make an example (live or die) this is abusing power.

As I said I don't think he handled it correctly but you don't shoot to mame, you shoot to kill. If they get out alive they'll be trying to sue you... I'm sure there is more to the story but the whole truth will likely never come out. Like they say there are 3 sides to each story. Side A Side B and then the truth. Except side B didn't get to tell theirs here...

Except the guy's side is probably WAY worse than side B! He literally executed them after he eliminated threat. Dying on the ground, he walked up and shot the girl in the face after being able to drag her while still breathing to the dead boy. He did shoot to mame, and then with the threat eliminated, he executed them.

This is the sort of guy just waiting for people to break in so he can shoot them.

Based on available info, he was in his rights to kill both of them. From personal experience you don't have time to think. "oh maybe they aren't that dangerous I'll just shoot them in the leg". Most people are panicky, terrified and running on instinct in that situation. You don't know what people are capable of, especially after they break in your house. You shoot to kill period. They broke in, and payed the price. Did he handle things badly, yes. Is he a backwards dip nut, yes. Should he get murder charges, no. At the end of the day if they were such good people they wouldn't have been in that situation. That's my 2 cents.

The dude DRAGGED the dying girl and then shot her in the face because she laughed his gun jammed. He basically ambushed them.

Best part is they will never get the chance to do it again... They will never have the chance to hurt someone during the omission of another crime... and because this guy stood up to this couple, they won't be breaking to your home and hurting your family.

Best part is they will never get the chance to do it again... They will never have the chance to hurt someone during the omission of another crime... and because this guy stood up to this couple, they won't be breaking to your home and hurting your family.

You think two unarmed teenagers that have been 'neutralized' are going to hurt you? And then you're going to shoot them in the face when they're trying to get away?

He then shot her several times in the chest with a .22-caliber revolver, dragged her next to her cousin, and with as she gasped for air, fired a shot under her chin 'up into the cranium'.
'Smith described it as "a good clean finishing shot",' according to the compliant, and acknowledged he had fired 'more shots than (he) needed to'.
Smith said he left the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask if he knew a good lawyer. He later asked the neighbour to contact police.

Did you even read the article?

guess he should have asked them... hey your breaking into my house, how old are ya? do you have a gun?

He could have...he sat in his god damn recliner and waited for her to come down the stairs and shot her in the chest. Then DRAGGED her, to her cousin, and shot her in the head with what he called "a good finishing shot".

Are you one of those people who has guns and carries just hoping you get to kill someone? Sure sound like it.

I totaly think if someone breakes into your house then you have the right to kill them if you have to but this dude took things to far.

Age and sex is irrelevant if they have committed themselves into breaking into a home who knows what extent they would go to keep from being caught.

Was it excessive yes, was he wrong for defending his home family and life no.

I am the type of person that if someone breaks into my house, I am not going to give them the opportunity to harm me or my family.

I know what these people are like, and what they are capable of

You can let them tie you up and do whatever they want to you and your family. I can just say this they will probably let you watch while they do it.

K9 I understand your point of view to protect yourself and family but once he had shot the perps they were no longer a threat.

Killing them was wrong if he couldn't do that with the first shot.

The dude DRAGGED the dying girl and then shot her in the face because she laughed his gun jammed. He basically ambushed them.

How can you ambush someone as ONE person, in your own house, against TWO people who just broke in? Furthermore would you walk down the stairs after hearing gun shots? Again did he handle it badly, yes. Is he likely some what mentally unstable, yes. However had she not broken in to begin with she wouldn't have been shot. End of story, there is no argument to that fact. Again your not in your right mind when that happens to you. So to comment on what he should or should not have done is irrelevant from an outside perspective. He protected himself the best he thought. Lastly the only reason this is news worthy is because they were very young.

Last edited:
is there a link to the new report?

from what is said here any fool who breaks or enters anothers house gets what they deserve. as are they there to murder you? or just to tickle you with a feather? i tend to think not the second item.

yes i carry and even have a permit
(like who needs a permit to protect ones self, family, property.).
:deadhorse:

but using a gun is the LAST resort. and if it is to the point of shooting someone yes it is to stop them in there tracks. aka: two - three shots to the mid mass.
no "finishing" shot needed.

were/what is the history of the kids?
were/what is the history of the home owner?

more facts needed first. some of you should never be allowed to be on a jury as you already have it all set.

He could have...he sat in his god damn recliner and waited for her to come down the stairs and shot her in the chest. Then DRAGGED her, to her cousin, and shot her in the head with what he called "a good finishing shot".

Are you one of those people who has guns and carries just hoping you get to kill someone? Sure sound like it.

Nobody "hopes" to kill anyone, and if they think they do they will change that thought if they are put into that situation. Unless your truly sadistic killing another living being is incredibly traumatic. Unfortunately stupid, crazy, ill, bad people or what ever you choose to call them; still bring rise to unfortunate situations like this. It is truly a wast of life but both of those kids made the conscious decision to put their lives at risk the moment they broke in. No intruder is neutralized until they are dead. Synthetic drugs can turn someone into super man for a time, so its not worth taking the chance. Risking your life or lives your responsible to protect is not worth the lives of those who choose to threaten others with their own free will. Did he have to kill them in such a brutal fashion no, but killing anyone in any way is a brutal vicious act regardless of the reason. If he had shot her in the face at the top of the stairs would it make a difference? The end result is the same and it all could have been prevented with one simple decision to not break in. I appreciate your opinions on this issue and that you are willing to discuss it with the rest of us. However your last statement is uncalled for. That is a personal attack that has no factual merit, so please keep comments like that to yourself.

Back