secondary throttle plate mods (mucked up screws)

Call me a wimp, but I bought my mod'ed flies from Copper Dawg instead of modifying my own. Mucked up one of the screws though. I could reuse it, but I'd rather not ... if I ever have to remove it again, it'll be a B..

The dealer was absolutely no help. They aren't listed in the parts schematic. So where do I get replacement screws?

First timers ... when you heat the screws for loosening the locktite, it would be best to heat from the backside ... that's the threaded area.

Call me a wimp, but I bought my mod'ed flies from Copper Dawg instead of modifying my own. Mucked up one of the screws though. I could reuse it, but I'd rather not ... if I ever have to remove it again, it'll be a B..

The dealer was absolutely no help. They aren't listed in the parts schematic. So where do I get replacement screws?

First timers ... when you heat the screws for loosening the locktite, it would be best to heat from the backside ... that's the threaded area.

Copperdawg will also sell you the screws for $10 delivered.

Another tip is to use a jewellers screwdriver size 0.
They have hardened heads and fit perfectly inside of the screw head.

Thanks for the sources of screws! And yes, I used a new quality #0 philips. The mistake is I didn't heat up the screws enough.

I also used a brand new, unused size 0 phillips head from my Stanley screwdriver set and the soft crap head on it broke off into the first screw I tried to remove.
Needless to say there was a lot of swearing going on.
The heads on the jewellers screwdrivers are a hell of a lot harder.
I still haven't removed it yet but I will do soon as I want to install my Copperdawg plates that have been in my house for a month or 2 now.

Sweet, $5 including shipping from [email protected] and it'll be in the mail tomorrow!

Besides a new quality screw driver, I think it's best to heat the throttle plate shaft from the backside. the shaft is split and heating the front side doesn't do too much ... or you have to heat it a lot hotter than expected.

I have this mod done for over a year now. I had the same issue with the Stanley screw driver...crap. Twisted the head off a brand new screw driver on the first screw. At least the screw wasn't damaged. Where would you buy a jewelers screw driver? The mod is easy with a good driver and lots of heat. I used a butane micro torch.

Installed and good to go ... except that it's raining here so I can't even try it out! :-(

One final thought for those going through this. Plan on replacing the screws. The new one's I got from Victor have a MUCH deeper philips head. If the screws were like this to begin with, nobody would be having a problem.

Back