Secondary butterflies

HI guys.

I've just read somewhere of tying the flies so they are permanently open instead of modding them. is this recommened or generally a bad idea. I have done a few mods already ie Full akro system, PC5 and BMC filter. I have ordered an R1 gasket but not arrived yet, and will be doing the airbox at the same time. Also does anyone have any pics of re-routed cables from within the airbox.

This may have been covered many times so if anyone can point me in the direction of relating threads feel free.

Thanks in advance for any help given

The R1 Gasket is thinner thus reducing the clearance and increasing the compression? That is what a thread on the other site was leading people to believe.
You sound unconvinced by the R1 gasket mate. Any particular reason. I had heard it from my dealer before I saw it on the other site so rightly or wrongley thought it was a reasonable mod.

Misunderstood

You sound unconvinced by the R1 gasket mate. Any particular reason. I had heard it from my dealer before I saw it on the other site so rightly or wrongley thought it was a reasonable mod.

In theory it makes sense, based on what I know about engines, every micron counts. I just did not want to sound like I knew more about it then I did. It was a post on the other forum where I heard about it and did not hear any feedback as to sucess or failure of the mod.

Last edited:
I just removed the flies from mine, not a difficult task and a huge difference to the low / mid range.

Hux, what about the high range? I've heard a few people who took them out completely complain about the upper RPMs and some unresponsive throttle action. It seems that the majority are in agreement that modded flies offer the best of both worlds with better low/mid range and no bogging in the high range.

Always like to hear about others impressions. :D

FWIW, I just put in modded flies today but it's not warm enough in NH to go test them yet.

I installed Ivan's flys. It's been awhile, but I think Ivan doesn't like tied because causes map problems/bogging or something like that. Call Ivan and he'll be straight up.

I think his flys are about 90 bucks or so. They look good in there.

I installed Ivan's flys. It's been awhile, but I think Ivan doesn't like tied because causes map problems/bogging or something like that. Call Ivan and he'll be straight up.

I think his flys are about 90 bucks or so. They look good in there.

Yea, tied or removed flies will cause a slight bog around the 5k range if I remember correctly. If you use a PC III or V you can tune it pretty well, but I think most riders would be happier with the smaller flies rather than tied/removed flies.

Ivan's flies are now $50 and I think CopperDog is selling his for $30...

Ivan's flies are now $50 and I think CopperDog is selling his for $30...

Mine were free! (Thanks Brad!) I modded the stock set Brad mailed me and installed those. I'm going to mod the set I took out and can mail those out to someone in need of a set... Unless Norm decided he's finally going to drive up and let me mod his bike!! :D

If you use a PC III or V you can tune it pretty well

Im running a PC5, BMC and with the Akro i'm getting 146 RWHP without the airbox mod. I'm assuming if I tie or mod the flies as well as cut the box it will need re-mapping anyway, which will hopefully smooth out any problems. I hope lol, not its a quick snip of a zip and away ya go:)

ive removed mine to lots more responsive and midrange but do have to have good throttle controle to wide open it.

Yes, that's part of the problem. No flies (or tied) will give you better midrange, but you cannot simply go WOT or you will experience a bog. This can be somewhat tuned with a PC, but I doubt it can be completely eliminated.

Back