Seat Poll...how many still on stock seat?

I purchased my 08 this spring used and it came with both seats . stock and yamaha gel . It had the gel on it for the first 1000 miles I rode it but I kept getting monkey butt so I put the stock on and have had no issues since .

Yamaha comfort seat, not only does it feel better on teh Buttocks, its taller and gives you a bit more legroom, good if your tall like myself.

Bad if you are 5'9" with a long torso like me... the top saddlery seat with the lowering option sounds like a better fit for those of "average" height.

I just got my Corbin seat last week and I love it. I took a ride to VA on July 4th weekend and as soon as I got to my destination I ordered the seat. On the stocker I'd be sore after about 70 miles. I haven't given the Corbin a real test yet, but I rode to Cooperstown on Sunday for the Baseball Hall of Fame inductions (80 miles) and I was feeling good.

I am still using the stock seat. I am relatively new to the world of FZs but I have logged in almost 5000 miles in the past few months. After my first long trip I searched the web and found that a lot of people use sheepskin covers on their seats.
I figured what the heck might as well try it, ordered from Alaskan Leathers. It was expensive but I really do think it helps a bit on the long rides. I don't use it unless I know I am going to ride at least 500 miles or so.

New to FZ1 myself but have covered 1600 miles now in about 4 weeks including a three day 830 mile trip to Wales and the seat definitely make my bum numb towards the end of each day.

Was thinking about a Corbin as not over keen on the look of the Top Saddlery (its all subjective) but i am thinking of trying the cycling shorts option under my normal gear as this would be the cheapest option (if it works) and i like the look of the stock seat.

Normally at this point in the thread people say I'll take pictures and let you know but I don't think I'll take pictures of me in my cycling shorts :eek::)

I have to agree that the STOCK seat is pretty bad. After about an hour, it's butt-burn city! I'll probably tough it out due to the cost of after market though. Also, from what I've read, the after market seats aren't that much better.

Guys, the Euro is at an all-time low right now. If you ever thought of getting a TS seat from France, NOW is the time to do it. It's not going to get much cheaper. If the Euro rebounds against the dollar, you'll be paying an amount like I did. Right now, the seats are almost $80 cheaper than when I bought them!! Git R' Dun!!

I just completed 12 hours solid riding Saturday, and 18 hours Sunday on the stock seat and my a$$ is not sore one bit. Rode a total of 1,700 miles in one weekend (Bend, OR to Minneapolis, MN) through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, then Minnesota. Legs are fine too....I think what works for some may not work for others and that goes for any seat.

I'm keeping the stock seat.

Last edited:
Right now, the seats are almost $80 cheaper than when I bought them!! Git R' Dun!!

Grrr, you had to post this, you just cost me $400! May I send you the bill?

:rant: over. I'm sure I'll like the seat as much as you.

Type 1 deluxe seat
YAMAHA FZ1 S [≥ 2006]

Model Year : 2009
Colors and materials
Front of seat : SEL065
Front strip : SEL065
Seats : SEL065
Strips : SEL065
Edging : SEL065
Stitching and embroiderery
3 cm stitching line : Black
Lettering style : Contour des lettres seulement
Thread color : Grey
Text : FZ1
Designs on seats
Designs : no
Shape, Gel®, seat heater
Shape : long raised
Gel® : none
Seat heaters : none
Base options
Choice : you lend me a base

Corbin Seat

Road on the stock seat for a little over a year and changed it out this May for a Corbin seat. Best money I've spent on the bike since I bought it. I could not go through an entire day of riding on the stock seat without paying the price the next day. The new Corbin seat is breaking in nicely. :woot:

View attachment 3909

Back