Seat Poll...how many still on stock seat?

2008 FZ1, stock seat, purchased bike with 1700 miles at the end of December 2009, now only 2200 miles...winter. It snowed again yesterday. We have had a few days lately in the high 50's during the week but work keeps getting in the way. I don't have enough longer trips yet to form an educated opinion on the stock seat. I will probably purchase luggage before a seat upgrade.

i have the stock seat, but haven't rode my bike yet, so i don't know exactly how it will be. but coming from the sportbikes i was used to, i can tell the fz1 seat will be a welcome change

I like the stock seat comfy enough mind you I have a 9'' diff !!!

Top Sadlerie seat and, like Eric, I love it. Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly with Billy. My knees are my limiting factor as they begin to hurt after a couple hours. If there was a "knee" mod I'd do it though.

I hear a lot of people say this and there is a real solution DEEP KNEE BENDS. You dont even need weights. you can also do front squats (where you hold the baron your sholders and over the clavical and cross your hands to opposing sholders) with light weights. Going all the way down is key. if you are really weak (and you probably are if it hurts your knees to ride) then hold on to a stair post with both hands. I am telling you I had this problem and I have done this and I dont have the problem any more.

PS: I have exactly 1000.00 miles on my new purchased 2008. Coming off a Yama-Corbin made for the FJR I am surprized that the 320mile ride I did (only my second daylong of the year) only hurt as much as it did. having been a bicycle racer for years, motorcycle seats seem quite lushious :) I mean hell my nuts dont go numb...how bad can it be :)

Last edited:
Custom seat

I purchased my 2001 FZ1 in January of this year with a custom CORBIN seat installed. It's lower and longer in the saddle than stock. I love it. CarbonFiber cover with silver piping really adds to the BLACK effect. I have the stock seat that came with the purchase but have no plans to try it out.

I find the stock seat very comfy, admittedly I have not tried any aftermarket seats but they tend to be expensive and seeing as how I have no problems with the stocker, why change??

Is Corbin the only manufacturer that has the passenger backrest for their aftermarket FZ1 seat?

When I get my FZ1 I planned on getting the Corbin just because of the backrest option.

Is Corbin the only manufacturer that has the passenger backrest for their aftermarket FZ1 seat?

When I get my FZ1 I planned on getting the Corbin just because of the backrest option.

I have a Corbin on the way for mine for that very reason. I have no real issues with the stock seat at this point. I'll post pics of the Corbin whenst I get it.

FINALLY got the Corbin. What a nightmare that was. First, it came in with the wrong coverings so it had to be sent back to be recovered. It finally came (again) today and I had to shim the latch to make it fit properly. At least it looks good and is very comfortable. Hopefully the wife will enjoy her backrest. I'll post pics later tonight.

Still with the stock, i have done 6-700km rides. After about 4-500km im over it though my knees go before my ass, i do more sport riding so most of my riding im moving around but i agree if you are into the touring side of things then a gel seat would be the one!!!.

Have used the stock seat for about 2 years now and I can't stand it any longer. People say that it's good for an hour or so. In my case maybe 30 minutes before my arse is in agony. It is the only thing I don't like about the bike, particularly as the previous model had a nice comfortable seat.

I think it's all personal stuff as other riders have no problems at all.

I've just ordered a Top Sellerie saddle from France (about £300 on an exchange basis). Corbin seats in the UK are stunningly expensive (about £500) and I wasn't prepared to spend that much dosh. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Ta, Tom

I have the Yamaha Gel seat and dont think it is much better than stock. Tried bike shorts and only a minor improvement. Now I have a padded sheep skin over the Gel seat and it is ok, although I still cant do trips af more than a few days before the discomfort gets to bad to ride for any more than a few hours a day.

sargent seat

Had the stock seat for about 5000km and my ass hurt after one tank of gas (250km). Changed for Sargent: better looking, more comfortable but still not ideal. Wonder if Corbin or Top saddlery would be better.

Back