SD 8GBHC memory card

HELP --- I have a new 4 gig and 8 gig memory card for a new camera and it won't download into my computer through the card reader. It says it requires 4megabyter per second minimum speed to work. Where do I go to discover if my computer will do this download speed?

So if I understand correctly, the memory cards work fine in your camera but the pictures won't transfer onto your computer? Where are you seeing the message that "it requires 4mb/sec minimum speed to work? SD memory cards are speed rated based on "class", class 2=2mb second, class 4=4mb second, etc. If your memory card reader is having issues reading the card, it could be for a number of reasons such as drivers for the memory card reader. I'm assuming your camera came with a USB cable, have you tried connecting it to the computer via USB to bypass any issues with the memory card reader?

So if I understand correctly, the memory cards work fine in your camera but the pictures won't transfer onto your computer? Where are you seeing the message that "it requires 4mb/sec minimum speed to work? SD memory cards are speed rated based on "class", class 2=2mb second, class 4=4mb second, etc. If your memory card reader is having issues reading the card, it could be for a number of reasons such as drivers for the memory card reader. I'm assuming your camera came with a USB cable, have you tried connecting it to the computer via USB to bypass any issues with the memory card reader?

Maybe this will help. I have a one Megabyte card that I can put in the camera and then take it out of the camera and put it in the card reader and it automatically reads it.

I got the 4mb per sec off of the back of the carton that the card was sealed in. On the front it does say class 4. I didn't know what that meant at the time.

Maybe this will help. I have a one Megabyte card that I can put in the camera and then take it out of the camera and put it in the card reader and it automatically reads it.

I got the 4mb per sec off of the back of the carton that the card was sealed in. On the front it does say class 4. I didn't know what that meant at the time.

Yup, there is your problem! Older non-SDHC card readers will not read cards above 2gb. Unfortunately your card reader will not work with your new memory cards... but you should be able to connect your camera to the computer with a USB cable or buy an external SDHC card reader.

There's nothing wrong with the card. The reader is out of date. I have the same issue here with reader I use. It will read all my other cards but when I try to insert the Canon's 4mb HC card it won't read. Neither will the card that comes with my GoPro camera. I use the USB cable to transfer from the two cameras.

There's nothing wrong with the card. The reader is out of date. I have the same issue here with reader I use. It will read all my other cards but when I try to insert the Canon's 4mb HC card it won't read. Neither will the card that comes with my GoPro camera. I use the USB cable to transfer from the two cameras.

Thanks everyone --- I thought our equipment was too old. I think I'll buy a new computer to replace mine. Hell, this one is still on Windows 2000. My wife's is on XP since it is newer.

I highly recommend Windows 7... It's my favorite since Windows 2000.
I even more highly recommend AVOIDING Windows Vista.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a new computer, a device like this should get the job done (though this one doesn't list support for Windows 2000): Newegg.com - IOGEAR GFR204SD
It's a USB Card Reader that supports SDHC (Secure Digital - High Capacity)

I highly recommend Windows 7... It's my favorite since Windows 2000.
I even more highly recommend AVOIDING Windows Vista.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a new computer, a device like this should get the job done (though this one doesn't list support for Windows 2000): Newegg.com - IOGEAR GFR204SD
It's a USB Card Reader that supports SDHC (Secure Digital - High Capacity)

I guess you stick that in the USB port and then the card is stuck into it?

Back