Screen Help

Hi guys

I've just picked up a gen 2 2008 FZ1 with what I think is a Givi screen, like this (http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/4/d437s_8.jpg)

It's a fairly flat screen which although large has no real double bubble style rounding or lip.

I'm finding that I'm getting good body protection but the wind must be hitting my helmet or somewhere close - the result is that the riding experience is really loud from lots of annoying wind buffering/noise in the helmet. It's not just my helmet either as I've found that by standing on the pegs it reduces the wind noise considerably.

I was trying to understand what the best solution would be? I like the protection it offers but the highway wind noise is almost unbearable. I was wondering if a similar sized double bubble screen will make a difference or if I should just revert to a smaller screen?

I know this may seem like a dumb question but I've only ever owned naked bikes so the whole screen thing is a bit new to me.

Thanks for the help.

Take a pic and post from your bike, it could be givi or zero gravity touring screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the screen.

I'm 6 foot 2 but have mostly long legs and a standard torso. The bars are slightly revised on the bike in that they are further forward compared to stock (suburban machinery bars - about 2 inches forward).

Ya looks like a givi. With bars being back you are more upright also so ya I bet it's hitting right at your helmet

Can you try the stock risers and see if it bothers you

Ya looks like a givi. With bars being back you are more upright also so ya I bet it's hitting right at your helmet

Can you try the stock risers and see if it bothers you

Unfortunately I don't have the stock bars. Im going to go for a ride over the weekend without the screen to see what that does. mMaybe a mid-size screen may be best?

Or stock screen

Depends where you want wind to hit you

I do my stock screen and it pushes my helmet up and it mildly chokes me

Have you tried earplugs

Yeh its still annoying with ear plugs and a neck sock. Giving the stock screen a go is a good idea too.

I know its not quite normal as the sound is worse than similar speeds on my old street triple.

Hello again guys.

Well as a bit of an update I took the screen off completely. It has made things so much better and the riding experience far more enjoyable.

However riding around without a screen I think the bike looks a bit incomplete. I read the excellent screen thread and have decided that the Zero Gravity DB Shorty is the one I'm after.

I'm new to the states and haven't bought bike parts from any online US stores yet. Anyone know the best place to purchase ZG screens from? I've seen one online store list them at $94 but i was wondering if perhaps there is a cheaper option. Thanks.

There is a store on eBay for Zero Gravity, I think it's called ZG Outlet. They sell 2nds, but it's really hard to spot the faults...several guys on here have bought them.

You've discovered what many before you have. No screen = quietest ride with no buffeting, but at the cost of significant wind pressure at higher speeds.
If I stayed off highways, I'd have no fairing.
The cheapest (and good-looking) solution: stock screen cut way down. This is what I use in the summer

attachment.php

eBay saved the day!

Bought a cheapie double bubble china special for 20 bucks. Was surprised by the decent quality.

Overall I'm stoked with the wind protection and 'look' of the screen.

Apologies about photo quality.
2yzysuvy.jpg

The stock screen had the wind hitting me in the chest below my neck causing my helmet to bob like crazy. The wind noise was deafening.

I switched to a GIVI screen and the wind protection is good with the turbulence hitting the top of my helmet. However, both helmets I have are about equal in noise but much less than stock.

I just ordered a $17.55 (LOL :jaw drop:) Chinese double bubble to try once the warmer weather arrives to the mid-west.

The stock screen had the wind hitting me in the chest below my neck causing my helmet to bob like crazy. The wind noise was deafening.

I switched to a GIVI screen and the wind protection is good with the turbulence hitting the top of my helmet. However, both helmets I have are about equal in noise but much less than stock.

I just ordered a $17.55 (LOL :jaw drop:) Chinese double bubble to try once the warmer weather arrives to the mid-west.

Sounds almost exactly the same issue. You should be happy with your Chinese cheapie - I know I am.

I bought a cheapie chinese screen to replace the awful touring screen my bike came with. Massive improvement!
henyhuhu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Back