Say A Little Prayer

As soon as I got to work this morning I got the bad news. Three riders I know from work were involved in a head on collision with an SUV yesterday morning during the annual Ramapo 500 run upstate. P.J., Donnchadh, and Tony were just leaving the town in the morning with two other riders. They were in a 30mph zone in town and while coming into a lefthand sweeper, an SUV was coming the opposite direction in their lane. The lead bike swerved to avoid the truck and ran into a ditch. P.J., the second in line, hit the SUV head on. Donnchadh (pronounced Donica), locked up his brakes going down and missing the SUV by inches. Tony hit his brakes and was able to keep his bike upright as the SUV rolled past, as well as the last rider who was able to stop. Donnchadh and the lead rider were not seriously hurt, just banged up a little. P.J. wasn't so lucky. The impact actually torn the front left wheel completely from the SUV leaving it careening off the curb for some distance. The driver claimed he had a diabetic seizure but witnesses said that he looked fine as he exited the vehicle. P.J. was airlifted to Binghamton where he underwent 3 surgeries to save his leg which was severely mangled and also back surgery to remove splinters from his back caused by his shattered femur. They are going to fuse his vertebrae today and start working on reconstructing his leg. They were able to mend all his arteries, tendons, and ligaments but had to remove a section of his femur. They have some kind of process of rebuilding it but he'll probably be hospitalized for a long time. He was concious and in a ton of pain but still joking around with the use of a clipboard and marker. He was just in the job on Friday past asking me if I would go. I didn't have the bike at that point so declined his offer. Donnchadh had sent me a photo of P.J. Saturday morning at check in up in Ramapo. I was curious as to why there were no pics after that. Now I know why.

So if you can, please say a little prayer for him, even though you don't know him personally. He's a good guy and I feel very bad for him and his wife. I'm glad he survived and I hope he pulls through without having to lose his leg. At this point it's all about blood flow and clot control. I will post up any updated info as I get it. Thanks guys!

Jeez!!! That is horrible Billy! He has our prayers!!!

I had a boss who smashed his leg like this and they had to remove part of his femur too. They had his leg in a stretch cage for a LONG time. This allows the bone ends to grow toward each other and once they start to fuse, they break and stretch the leg a little more. They continue this until the original length is achieved. Not a pretty thing and a long and painful procedure, but the end result is a normal and functional leg!

So very sorry he's having to endure this. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Jeez!!! That is horrible Billy! He has our prayers!!!

I had a boss who smashed his leg like this and they had to remove part of his femur too. They had his leg in a stretch cage for a LONG time. This allows the bone ends to grow toward each other and once they start to fuse, they break and stretch the leg a little more. They continue this until the original length is achieved. Not a pretty thing and a long and painful procedure, but the end result is a normal and functional leg!

So very sorry he's having to endure this. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Thanks everyone. Yes Eric, thats what they told me. It's a cage that they install which allows the bones to grow together. Thanks, thats exactly what is happening. I believe he lost a few inches of femur, and the doctors said it's going to be quite a while for recovery.

Done and I have an agreement with himself above, he looks after my friends who get hurt or I will go to confession and tie up several priests for many years.

Keep us informed as to his condition, make sure he has a laptop so we can rubbish him back to health.

May God be with him, his family and friends. :( :(

All the best to your friend. Poor bloke sounds like he will have life long injuries. :(
If I were religious I would pray for him but I will have to give him my best wishes and hope for a speedy recovery instead.

Billy my prayers go out to him and his family. I'm glad to hear that no one else got seriously hurt. When you think about it the outcome could have been much more tragic...

Billy my prayers go out to him and his family. I'm glad to hear that no one else got seriously hurt. When you think about it the outcome could have been much more tragic...

Oh definitely. He may have taken all 5 bikes out and killed someone in the process. P.J. underwent sugery again last night and they found more bone fragments between his collarbones which they removed. After the surgery he couldn't move his right hand so they took him back in. He is also missing a 4 inch piece of bone that they haven't been able to find. It's gonna be a tough road ahead for him.

Sorry for your friend. my best wishes for a speedy recovery!! I hope the driver of the SUV gets what's deserved and not just a little fine.

Update

I just received an update on P.J.'s condition. He is now awake, alert, and talking. They must have removed the breathing tube. Also, it is official that his leg will be saved. As expected, they say he is irritated and in pain and I'm sure giving the nurses grief. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. I thank you all on his behalf.

Back