RZ500 Project

I recently finished painting a RZ500 for a guy who is restoring it to look like Kenny Roberts last GP bike. Very fun project. I posted a thread over at the FZ6 forum so I won't go through it all again, but the Yamaha fanatics (like me) will probably get all emotional:)

tn_IMG_0020.JPG

Very Nice

Having owned a 1986 RZ 350 and loved that bike, I always loved the look and ride of the RZ 500 (having only sampled one briefly). I had a chance to ride the Suzuki Gamma 500 but much preffered my RZ 350 to it. It is a beauty.

Emotional? Emotional is an understatement!

Wow! Looks great! I love the PM wheels, and the cool rotors. Someday I WILL ride one of these.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Emotional? Emotional is an understatement!

Wow! Looks great! I love the PM wheels, and the cool rotors. Someday I WILL ride one of these.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I will get a short ride on it someday... the guy who owns it is cool. Old school roadracer like me from the 80's.

I had one of these when they first came out it was a great bike very fast but used to foul plugs often if i didnt rev the shit out of it, still one of my favorite bikes i have owned

You can see pretty much the whole thing from start to finish on my website if you are interested...
The bike weighs in at 361 lbs as it sits so it should be pretty entertaining to ride:) Has the Japan only alum frame and race swingarm and the PM wheels (which are a source of love/hate emotions depending on who you ask) are the widest he could find without having custom made wheels. He may yet anodize them gold so they look more like Roberts bike.

Last edited:
Wow, he really dropped a lot of weight off the bike, that's about 70 to 80 lbs isn't it? As I recall the non-Japanese models were pretty porky. The chambers weighed a ton.

The work you do is so nice. I really like the Roberts FZ1. My Dad I and I painted several of my bikes over the years, about 4 or 5 of the; until one actually does the work they've not idea the time and effort involved. All of you projects look great.

Last edited:
I love 2 stroke bikes and the last one i owned was an RG500 sorry not a Yamaha but I recon that the RG was a better bike.
But I wish Yamaha or Suzuki would make a new model as I would be first in line for one.
The RZ500 and the RG500 were underated back in the 80s.
One of my mates had a Suzuki GSX 750R back then and I gave him a go on the RG and he couldn't believe how much go the thing had, He was so impressed he wanted to buy it off me LOL!
I sold it 12 months latter I just wish I had it now...

Back