RZ350 is Home! Restoration Begins

Looking real good !
Have you come across the rdlc crazy forum ?
Has a good shop on there as well , and a good specials / finished rebuild gallery
Worth a look

Looking real good !
Have you come across the rdlc crazy forum ?
Has a good shop on there as well , and a good specials / finished rebuild gallery
Worth a look

Yea, I have looked at his products. Some neat stuff for the RD/RZ bikes, but not cheap that's for sure. Will have to check out the gallery :)

Check this one out. An RZ drag chassis. I've never seen one like this before. It's pretty cool.

Yamaha : Other in Yamaha | eBay Motorcycles

View attachment 14736

I saw that one on eBay Pete! Looks pretty neat that's for sure. There was another one for sale on Craigslist not long ago, but it was the yellow/black combo.

I saw that one on eBay Pete! Looks pretty neat that's for sure. There was another one for sale on Craigslist not long ago, but it was the yellow/black combo.

Here's the one I was referring to:

attachment.php

Yamaha RZ350 Drag Bike

Interesting for sure!

Not much progress to report (well there is a little ;))

Rear swingarm went on yesterday as well as the footpeg brackets and the pegs.

Tapered bearings are in and triple tree is installed as well. Today I hope to fill the forks with oil and get them installed.

Next step will be to get the tires mounted on the rims and the rear shock installed so that I can at least have a roller. At that point I can do at lot more...stay tuned :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Blink ;-) ;-)

Geeeeze, Tony the RZ is reeeeeally looking great ! I love your attention to the smallest detail's and I so enjoy watching your progress on a such a classic machine . . . . NICE.
:thewave:

Geeeeze, Tony the RZ is reeeeeally looking great ! I love your attention to the smallest detail's and I so enjoy watching your progress on a such a classic machine . . . . NICE.
:thewave:

Thanks Gary! I figured at this point I'm going all out on the RZ :D

Forks are back together and ready to be mounted, but I have to put on the wheels at the same time or they'll be scrapping the ground. Yesterday I got the tires off the original wheels (which I was going to use before I decided to go with the black wheels).

This weekend rear suspension bolts and assorted parts will get a good cleaning so that I can get the Koni shock on there as well...slowly making progress ;)

Well this evening the Koni shock went on. The rear suspension is now complete.

Now I have to mount the tires on the powder coated (black) wheels and I'll have a roller.

I dismounted the tires the other day from the stock rims and it was a PITA. Not sure if I want to tackle mounting them with the tire irons on the other wheels. I'm going to use Dyna Beads for balancing so no ugly wheel weights ;)

I just picked up an 84 RZ 350, can you tell what wheels you went with? They look FJ wheels?

Awesome build!

Thanks Joe! I went with F2 RZ350 (86-up) wheels. Got them from Canada. They are a little lighter than the stock US 84-85 RZ350 wheels. Plus my stock wheels were too nice to ruin powder coating them.

Photos!!!!

Yes, early FJ and RZ wheels are the same.

I believe it's the only bike to share wheel sizes with the RZ350 (well at least here in the US).

A popular upgrade is the FZ600 rear swingarm. It fits the RZ350 with minimal mods. Allows you to use a slightly wider rear wheel.

Thanks Joe! I went with F2 RZ350 (86-up) wheels. Got them from Canada. They are a little lighter than the stock US 84-85 RZ350 wheels. Plus my stock wheels were too nice to ruin powder coating them.

I believe it's the only bike to share wheel sizes with the RZ350 (well at least here in the US).

A popular upgrade is the FZ600 rear swingarm. It fits the RZ350 with minimal mods. Allows you to use a slightly wider rear wheel.

Yes I have considered the FZR front and rear swap but there is something about a stock RZ..;)

I think the FJ's at least here in the states had a 16" rear..

Joe those wheels are from the red/white bikes the yellow/black ones should have gold wheels. However, they go well since the frame is black.

Yes I have considered the FZR front and rear swap but there is something about a stock RZ..;)

I don't disagree with you. I am doing a resto mod of mine, but keeping it close to original looking. Main upgrade is the Metmachex swingarm, but it's a really cool upgrade and much lighter than the stock steel one.

Back