Rust in tank

So the ninja I bought has some rust in the tank which I was gonna clean up and line the tank. Stopped at a Yammie dealer and was looking at some stuff Yammie makes. The service rep said to put some kerosene in the tank and some bb's and shake the sh!t out of it and it will knock the rust off for lining. Anyone ever heard of this? Seems like it could work, and the bb's are magnetic so they can be pulled out.

I remember my Dad was always repairing tanks on his old BSAs and Triumphs. He would use some kind of acid and a handful of nuts and bolts. Same method shaking it around. It seemed he would do it a bunch of times before he was satisfied and ready to coat the inside of the tank.

So turns out whatever acid is in the works cleaner is very very corrosive and is not to be left in the tank overnight. Lets just say I'm further behind now than when I started. I need a new fuel petcock and have a sizeable hole in the floor of my toy trailer. (That shite eats right thru aluminum) Oh and the tank is rustier than when I started. : oops:

So turns out whatever acid is in the works cleaner is very very corrosive and is not to be left in the tank overnight. Lets just say I'm further behind now than when I started. I need a new fuel petcock and have a sizeable hole in the floor of my toy trailer. (That shite eats right thru aluminum) Oh and the tank is rustier than when I started. : oops:

The old "one step foward, two steps back" scenario Sebastian. That sucks! Try that Home Depot stuff now. It is safe to leave in overnight as it only attcks the rust, and it can be used over and over again which is why it's a little over $20 dollars a gallon. Too bad about the trailer floor.

The old "one step foward, two steps back" scenario Sebastian. That sucks! Try that Home Depot stuff now. It is safe to leave in overnight as it only attcks the rust, and it can be used over and over again which is why it's a little over $20 dollars a gallon. Too bad about the trailer floor.

Totally gonna try the metal rescue now. I was trying to be cheap (which I should know never works out cheaper) would've been better to spend the money on the metal rescue in the first place.

Totally gonna try the metal rescue now. I was trying to be cheap (which I should know never works out cheaper) would've been better to spend the money on the metal rescue in the first place.

Your gonna like it. A friend of mine used it and had nothing but good stuff to say about it. He loves it cause he strains it out back into the container in order to use again, and the strainer catches all the crud first so it goes in clean.

Bought some metal rescue. Homo Depot doesn't stock it here but Menards does. Problem is I ruined the petcock and cant hold it in the tank now.

Maybe you can remove the petcock mechanism and get a piece of rubber innertube to cut into shape just to sit between the tank and petcock housing, then just screw it in place for now until the new one comes.

Maybe you can remove the petcock mechanism and get a piece of rubber innertube to cut into shape just to sit between the tank and petcock housing, then just screw it in place for now until the new one comes.

I have gasket material I was gonna use but I can't find the damn petcock I think I pitched it but couldn't find it in the garbage. Got frustrated and gave up for tonight.

So the metal rescue seems to be working where it can sit and soak, problem is there is a hump right in the center that it can't soak without more. Really trying to avoid buying more.

So the metal rescue seems to be working where it can sit and soak, problem is there is a hump right in the center that it can't soak without more. Really trying to avoid buying more.

It's re-usable, why not just get another gallon? I'm sure this won't be the only fuel tank you'll have to de-rust

My friend's VFR has a 5.5 gallon tank and we had to buy two bottles to get it cleaned up properly. We just filled it up enough to cover the surface and I rotated it every 12 hours in various directions

Last edited:
Back