Rpha-10

Who'd have thought....

Free shipping... one expects it to take at least a few days, even a week or two? I ordered this yesterday, remember? Motorcyclegear.com is in TX but apparently they have an agreement with a place next door in MA because I came back from lunch and there's a box at my desk... the helmet is here? The helmet is HERE! Cannot beat free shipping, especially when it is overnight!

The XL fits very snug but comfortable. It's a very nice piece of craftsmanship and is quite a bit lighter than my RF-1000. Without a test ride, I'm giving this a bench grading of an A+. Looks, finish, fit, weight and features are everything I wanted in a helmet.

The pinlock installed easily and the visor locks down very tight against the gasket. Vents are easy to operate and all removable pieces are easy to handle.

Test ride is tonight's ride home. The pics aren't great from the cell phone... I'd have to get some with a good camera but you get the idea... ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Free shipping... one expects it to take at least a few days, even a week or two? I ordered this yesterday, remember? Motorcyclegear.com is in TX but apparently they have an agreement with a place next door in MA because I came back from lunch and there's a box at my desk... the helmet is here? The helmet is HERE! Cannot beat free shipping, especially when it is overnight!

The XL fits very snug but comfortable. It's a very nice piece of craftsmanship and is quite a bit lighter than my RF-1000. Without a test ride, I'm giving this a bench grading of an A+. Looks, finish, fit, weight and features are everything I wanted in a helmet.

The pinlock installed easily and the visor locks down very tight against the gasket. Vents are easy to operate and all removable pieces are easy to handle.

Test ride is tonight's ride home. The pics aren't great from the cell phone... I'd have to get some with a good camera but you get the idea... ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is a beautiful helmet! A lot of people do not like the centered visor clasp. I never had a problem with it and actually like the positive feedback that it is locked in place. You have a scale to show the weight difference?

That is a beautiful helmet! A lot of people do not like the centered visor clasp. I never had a problem with it and actually like the positive feedback that it is locked in place. You have a scale to show the weight difference?

It will take some getting used to after reaching to the side all these years for the Shoei tab. But I do also like that positive "click" knowing she's locked in place.

I have a digital scale somewhere... A necessity owning a parrot but my daughter borrowed it. She claims she brought it back but I cannot find it. Once I do, I'll certainly weigh these individually.

I love how subtle the graphics are and how they change color in the lighting. Also love that this has built-in pockets for the speakers! No more velcro/sticky madness. No more catching my ears on the edges of the speakers. :tup:

Ride report...

:wow: yeah, that good!

Weight: A lot less noticable on my head than the RF-1000. This is definitely lighter weight! Did not seem to be any one "heavy spot" like the Shoei... the Shoei feels mostly top-heavy.

Noise: This BLOWS AWAY the Rf-1000. Even with all the vents wide open at 80 mph, this is a much quieter helmet than the Shoei. I could actually hear myself talking to myself! :eek5: Yeah, scared me a little!

Visibility: About the same as the Shoei but if I was to compare the pinlocks, I think the one on the new visor has a larger window. I'd have to compare the two inserts because I don't think they would be a whole lot different. Very clear optics on the new visor with little to no distortion in front or around your peripheral vision areas. Even with the Pinlock insert, everything was still very much in focus.

Looks: Stylin' man! Turned a couple heads at the lights around town. I really like the subtle graphics that pop in the sunlight. Still wish it had dragons on it though. ;)

Fit: Very snug. Does not shift-move at all and seems to be spot on for my head. It's a little tight at the forehead but I think it will break in fine. Getting my glasses back on was very tight and again, once I wear it enough, the elbows of the glasses will form their own indents and be just fine. I have new Oakley Tumbleweed 0.5 frames and the bows are straight and rigid.

Overall, I'm giving this a 9 out of 10. I took away one point for ventilation as it seems to vent less air than the RF-1000. I knew this going in and it's not a huge concern as it does vent enough, just not as much as I'm used to having. Given the two helmets and I'm a LONG TIME Shoei fan, I'd take the HJC RPHA-10 over the RF-1000. I don't know if I'd have the same opinion if I compared it to an X-Twelve but with the cost difference, the X-Twelve would have to be UBER-IMPRESSIVE!

trav87, you NEED a new helmet! You NEED A NEW HELMET!!!

Last edited:
Keep us posted on the 'hot spot' on the forehead, that is usually my problem as my head seems to be on the elongated oval side of things. Would be interested if the hot spot goes away.

Fit: Very snug. Does not shift-move at all and seems to be spot on for my head. It's a little tight at the forehead but I think it will break in fine. Getting my glasses back on was very tight and again, once I wear it enough, the elbows of the glasses will form their own indents and be just fine. I have new Oakley Tumbleweed 0.5 frames and the bows are straight and rigid.

It will break in for sure. Glad you like it. I try to be conservative on my reviews. I think it is the best helmet I have ever had but I just don't know what the truly best helmets are like.

Keep us posted on the 'hot spot' on the forehead, that is usually my problem as my head seems to be on the elongated oval side of things. Would be interested if the hot spot goes away.

Update: No more hot spot. The helmet is forming a bit to my head and is now very snug while being extremely comfortable.

I still notice that this is a very quiet helmet compared to the RF-1000. Today was a bit chilly and I closed all the vents for my ride in. Almost eerily quiet inside! Not used to so little noise on the bike. Loving this!

I noticed today how easy it is to get the chin curtain on as well. Because it only fits one way, I was able to install it with the helmet on my head and without looking in a mirror. The Shoei curtain is merely tabs that press-fit between the shell and foam. The R has three clips that fit into mating holes. Well done HJC!

So far, this helmet wins in all but the venting category over the Shoei where I paid almost 3 times as much. And as I stated, while the venting loses out, it's not by much and still adequate enough to enjoy.

No regrets on this purchase at all. :tup:

Back