Rotors?

drmgillan

Has anyone had any experience with the mc motors rotors from eBay?
What was their experience like, would the recommend it.
Also from a practical point of view, cost effective, what is the difference in terms of construction or material used, compared to some of the top brands like golfer and Brembo, both track versus street and compared to the oem rotors are there any advantages?
Thanks

Some rotors will cool a little better than others because of the slots or cut-outs that the rotors ahve - but it wouldn't be a great difference. Fotr hard use or racing with ahrd wuse - you might notice a little shorter braking difference - but, again, not a lot.
All the metals will be steel - you just wouldn't know exactly what alloy of steel. But it really wouldn't make much difference. All steels are strong.

What to watch out for: If the rotor thickness are proper - to avoid warping if they too thin (heat build up causing the thin metal to warp) ---- and they are wide enough to get a good grip by a full size pad - all should be good.
Another worry with truly cheapo rotors would be whether they are truly "flat". And it the surface is truly smooth. If the cheapo was made in a cheapo fashion (Chinese maybe) and came out not "flat" you would end up with a pulsating braking. And the braking performance would suffer in effectiveness in stopping somewhat due to the pulsating.
And it they were rough --- they would eat up your brake pads.

The high priced designer ones - if designed for hard use (racing) they will cool a little better (resulting in less fading) and will stop just a bit shorter - because of less fading. --- For the street - not noticeable - unless you are a very hard rider. These bikes have excellent brakes.

It is possible that some designer brakes that are cut-out too much - for appearances purposes - could give poorer performance - because they lack enough metal to pad contact area for enough friction. But again - who would notice in street riding? But, if cutout severely, these would be prone to poor heat conduction and warping.

It's just stuff...
Name brands are good for a reason - the company has a reputation to maintain. No names --- not so much....

I have one of the Chinese made rotors on the back of my bike Its been on there for about a year or over 20K miles. What I discovered early on was that sintered pads cause accelerated wear on this rotor. Probably do to a softer alloy. After switching to an organic (actually Kevlar) pad I haven't had any other problems. Initial bite when applying the brakes is stronger presumably because of the shape of the rotor.

ex1.jpg

Back