Rossi and Yamaha

100% yes. He wanted to be the No.1 rider in the team. Jorge was an equally fast rider with the same equipment and was a huge threat to Rossi. If Jorge had beaten him 2 years in a row on the same equipment then Rossi would look a little less god like.
Funnily enough he's starting to look that way now anyway.

Isn't what makes Rossi 'god-like' is the fact he willingly abandons the top team on the grid in favour of a new challenge and always succeeds?

Isn't what makes Rossi 'god-like' is the fact he willingly abandons the top team on the grid in favour of a new challenge and always succeeds?

With the amount of good riders on good equipment, we shall see exactly how good he is in the next couple of year.
So far he is doing sweet fa on the Ducati.

No, I think Rossi wants to end his career with an home Italian bike. Can he do it? I am not so sure due to his shoulder, age and the problems Ducati has with it's bikes trying to turn.

Like him or not Rossi is one hell of a racer who has set a high bar for himself and other riders trying to be as good as he is.

Rossi is a God. Period. To even attempt to discount his talent is a statement of a total lack of understanding the concept of MotoGP. Sorry to come off so strong but his capabilities of not only riding but understanding the machine and how to make it better or what is actually wrong with it have no rival in the MotoGP world. Yamaha changed the entire frame for him and it made the bike go faster. He gave them this input.

To watch him race is art in motion. He plays with the other riders like they are ducks in a pond. He, repetitively, can start in the middle of the pack and move to the front. He has even passed folks on the inside -- in the dirt -- in a tight corner.

He definitely isn't the only great rider out there but in any race --- he is a threat, injured or not.

His team partner means nothing since they have completely different crews. Lorenzo is a great rider but Valentino has beaten him many times.

Agreed Crazy Joe. That M1 couldn't win a race till Rossi went to Yamaha and developed it. Look at the Yam results prior to Rossi. Lorenzo, the pretender, arrived at Yamaha with a fully developed package gifted to him. No wonder he could make a challenge.

And lets not forget, he won last season BECAUSE Rossi was injured for most of it. As soon as Rossi was back fit, he was giving Jorge the treatment.

As far as going to Ducati goes, it must be the dream of every racer to ride at their home GP on their home produce. Imagine Colin Edwards or Ben Spies or Nicki at Laguna on a competitive Harley. Or Neil Hodgson or Cal Crutchlow on a competitive Triumph at Silverstone.

Mugello will be on fire by the time Rossi rolls out of pit lane on his first sighting lap, never mind during the race :tup:

Last edited:
agreed crazy joe. That m1 couldn't win a race till rossi went to yamaha and developed it. Look at the yam results prior to rossi. Lorenzo, the pretender, arrived at yamaha with a fully developed package gifted to him. No wonder he could make a challenge.

And lets not forget, he won last season because rossi was injured for most of it. As soon as rossi was back fit, he was giving jorge the treatment.

As far as going to ducati goes, it must be the dream of every racer to ride at their home gp on their home produce. Imagine colin edwards or ben spies or nicki at laguna on a competitive harley. Or neil hodgson or cal crutchlow on a competitive triumph at silverstone.

Mugello will be on fire by the time rossi rolls out of pit lane on his first sighting lap, never mind during the race :tup:

totally agree !

I am going to agree with the post made just a few posts back and say that I really think he wanted to ride for an Italian team.

Rossi's riding and ability to translate what is happening with the bike to Jeremy Burgess is what has made them an almost unstoppable team over the years.

I am going to agree with the post made just a few posts back and say that I really think he wanted to ride for an Italian team.

Rossi's riding and ability to translate what is happening with the bike to Jeremy Burgess is what has made them an almost unstoppable team over the years.

Times change boys, it's the year of the Honda now and Casey Stoner is the new Rossi.

Times change boys, it's the year of the Honda now and Casey Stoner is the new Rossi.

No, Casey himself has said he doesn't have the skills to develop a bike nearly as well as guys like Rossi. Casey may be a talented rider & very cool guy but he seems to lack the versatility that Rossi has.

Just like Schumacher or Senna, Rossi has the ability to not only ride fast but to build a successful team around him and give real input on what the bike is doing at every moment he's on it which is why he (like Schumacher) ends up riding and winning on the best bike on the grid year after year.

That's the way I see it

Rossi is a great rider, no doubt. There were many greats before him and there will be many after him. We have seen him in his prime and I am ready for the next big thing.

I do not subscribe to idol worship. Nor do I root for dynasty teams/players in any sport. Rooting for the underdogs is way more fun for me. I root for Spies because he is a Texan and I root for Stoner because he pisses Rossi worshipers off. ;)

I am the same, I always root for the underdog. This year I'm really looking forward to seeing what Simoncelli can do and of course everyone loves Ben Spies.

I have only been watching MotoGP for a couple years now but I can't help but be drawn to guys like Rossi who can achieve 9 world championships but still be fun and silly at the same time. Nicky Hayden & Colin Edwards are other great examples of that!

It seems that everyone who works with Jeremy Burgess is a wizard at feeding him the correct information.....or is it that he is a wizard at translating said information for his use?

I read an interview with Rossi recently which says they were dissappointed with how far they'd come with the bike, but upbeat about a few things they were set to try (like a new swingarm etc.). These are things that Stoner's crew has already tried. Rossi is telling them what Stoner has already told them. In another interview Stoner tells how Ducati were going to poach Lorenzo from Yamaha at double Stoner's wage. They obviously thought the problem was he couldn't ride well enough, and that there was nothing very wrong with the bike. I bet they think differently now.

Casey Stoner has been setting up bikes since he was knee high to a grasshopper, and I reckon the main difference between his and Rossi's developement skills are Jeremy Burgess (after all JB has a lot more world championships under his belt than Rossi).

Rossi is a great rider, no doubt. There were many greats before him and there will be many after him. We have seen him in his prime and I am ready for the next big thing.

I do not subscribe to idol worship. Nor do I root for dynasty teams/players in any sport. Rooting for the underdogs is way more fun for me. I root for Spies because he is a Texan and I root for Stoner because he pisses Rossi worshipers off. ;)

I prefer to consider him a God. :) He was numero uno on 500cc 2 strokes, Hondas, Yamahas and will be again on anything he rides. All Gp riders are Gods amoung men with balls of steel and talent incomprehensible to mere mortals like me.

I also prefer to root for the best. Lorenzo, Stoner, Spies, are exceptional but they are not Valentino. :)

Back