Rode the big beast.

DJ NEZZ

Yesterday I had a day off and rode to my favourite Yamaha shop. My friend is on the spare parts counter, it was lunch time and he was just going out to get a pie. I waited but when he returned he said take her for a ride on the motorway. Its a MT01 Torque Sports 1670cc vee twin Yamaha with Akrapovic titanium full system and computer chipped beast. I could only just touch the ground and its really to big for me. It was grunty but I prefer my FZ1SV, smoother quicker and easyer to handle but I enjoyed the big beast. :cowboy:

Ditto, Love that bike. Shame the school of thought is that there is "no market" for it in the states.
Yamaha-MT-01-Image.jpg

Ditto, Love that bike. Shame the school of thought is that there is "no market" for it in the states.
Yamaha-MT-01-Image.jpg
The MT01 is a higher build quality than our FZ1 and its probably one down from the VMAX. Sad to here you guys in the states didnt get this model but here new there about 30grandNZ. We dont get the FZ1 here now, but only get the FZ8 and 6.

Last edited:
Huh. I was just looking at the non-US Yamaha sites to see what the other half gets... (made it to the India, Ausie/NZ and UK sites). My first take on the MT01 was it was a bit of an ugly, odd bird, but I think it could grow on me. I would like to take a ride on it. I've never been a big V-twin fan, but I don't know if that's because of the engine configuration, or just that most of them in the US are cruisers with really low seats, way forward foot controls and weird bars.

I came from a dirt bike background, so I like my feet under my hips, not too far back (a little back is OK), but never forward. It always feels a bit out of my control like that.

The UK, Ausie/NZ bike I'd most like here is the XJR1300.
2009-rp19-silvertech-02.jpg
I really like the retro look and feel of it. I think XJR1300 and a Super Tenere would have to be additions my stable. (I'm also jealous for a better selection of Yamaha for my wife. The baby Ninja is great, but the FZ6R is really her only choice here from Yamaha. :waiting:)

One other weird thing... why do they sell so many tiny cc motorcycles in India and the FZ1 with no 600cc range at all? :jaw drop:

Huh. I was just looking at the non-US Yamaha sites to see what the other half gets... (made it to the India, Ausie/NZ and UK sites). My first take on the MT01 was it was a bit of an ugly, odd bird, but I think it could grow on me. I would like to take a ride on it. I've never been a big V-twin fan, but I don't know if that's because of the engine configuration, or just that most of them in the US are cruisers with really low seats, way forward foot controls and weird bars.

I came from a dirt bike background, so I like my feet under my hips, not too far back (a little back is OK), but never forward. It always feels a bit out of my control like that.

The UK, Ausie/NZ bike I'd most like here is the XJR1300.
2009-rp19-silvertech-02.jpg
I really like the retro look and feel of it. I think XJR1300 and a Super Tenere would have to be additions my stable. (I'm also jealous for a better selection of Yamaha for my wife. The baby Ninja is great, but the FZ6R is really her only choice here from Yamaha. :waiting:)

One other weird thing... why do they sell so many tiny cc motorcycles in India and the FZ1 with no 600cc range at all? :jaw drop:

Hi BDazzler,I like the FJR1300 too, Ohlins and no 1 on the tank shes got balls and classic style and the Super Tenere is a true mans adventure bike, traction control etc shes an equal to the BMW, (my roots are in the dirt TT500F 30 years) but too high in the seat for me. There here in our Yamaha shops in Auckland but they are slow to sell as with FZ1 too. The MT01 has been growing on me now since my ride, yes I thought they were ugly but now they are beautiful. If you thought you were king of the road on your FZ1 its only half the feeling of a MT01. I cant understand why these models didnt go stateside as the would of been popular. I have still not come face to face with any FZ1 here in 2.5 years but have FZ1 friends in NZ. Happy riding BDazzler.:thewave:

Last edited:
In India, the roads and traffic make a big cc bike useless. A 250cc twin is more than what is needed.

I totally get why India has mostly small cc bikes, but I don't get why they have the FZ1 (1000cc) with out a 600cc. I guess it's all or next to nothing.

I've got nothing against small cc bikes, in fact I'd really like to see Yamaha bring a good 250-400cc bike over to the US. The baby Ninja needs a bit more competition than the CBR250!

Hi BDazzler,I like the FJR1300 too, Ohlins and no 1 on the tank shes got balls and classic style and the Super Tenere is a true mans adventure bike, traction control etc shes an equal to the BMW, (my roots are in the dirt TT500F 30 years) but too high in the seat for me. There here in our Yamaha shops in Auckland but they are slow to sell as with FZ1 too. The MT01 has been growing on me now since my ride, yes I thought they were ugly but now they are beautiful. If you thought you were king of the road on your FZ1 its only half the feeling of a MT01. I cant understand why these models didnt go stateside as the would of been popular. I have still not come face to face with any FZ1 here in 2.5 years but have FZ1 friends in NZ. Happy riding BDazzler.:thewave:

I'm sure I'd be impressed with the MT01 in person. Like I said, I'd love to ride one (and a VMax too). Perhaps I can visit NZ/Australia some day. Do they rent those over there? I've always wanted to visit.

Last edited:
For some reason I've always like the look of a shortened and bulked-up big twin. For me it would be worth every penny just to ride it over to my H-D dealer and park it right in front. What they lack in overall H.P. is made up with that waaay down low Torque.

To me, that bike is the epitome of badass even more so than the B-king, just due to its looks and that humongous engine and exhaust. It is as if there is hardly anything there other than those two. Should be a hoot to ride!

To me, that bike is the epitome of badass even more so than the B-king, just due to its looks and that humongous engine and exhaust. It is as if there is hardly anything there other than those two. Should be a hoot to ride!

I agree 100%. With mugs like Confederate, and the Roland Sands thing going on I'd think the model would do well. It appeals to me much more than the typical Japanese "power" cruiser. I hate cruisers...

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I had a day off and rode to my favourite Yamaha shop. My friend is on the spare parts counter, it was lunch time and he was just going out to get a pie. I waited but when he returned he said take her for a ride on the motorway. Its a MT01 Torque Sports 1670cc vee twin Yamaha with Akrapovic titanium full system and computer chipped beast. I could only just touch the ground and its really to big for me. It was grunty but I prefer my FZ1SV, smoother quicker and easyer to handle but I enjoyed the big beast. :cowboy:

I rode a demo at Bayride in Tauranga when they first came out, this one had the Akro pipes aswell. I liked the sound but it was all over to soon in the rev-range for my liking, at the time i had a 05 R1 so the MT01 shared the same forks, wheels, brakes... etc. TBO i didnt get to test it on any twisties but the quality of the bike was A+ and it rode nice. You boys in the state didnt miss much, i have heard of these bikes sitting in the showroom for years. They were too expensive, and didn't really flot to many boats, it seemed like the MT01 was of those bikes that everyone wanted to test ride out of curiosity but not buy???. They can be had for cheap 2nd-hand now.

Back