Rm stator Aftermarket coils

Gooday Gents,
I wanna share a cautionary tale.

Had recently bought a gen 2 fz1 with about 65,000km on it after becomming a bit bored with my FZ6R.

Long and short of it, It developed a bit of a misfire on one of the cylinders when accelerating from a stop. It would disappear after getting past about 4k rpm and then remanifest randomly in the same circumstance( accelerating from a stop).

Did some researche and concluded it likely an ignition coil on its way out.

Since the bike still had the oem stator grenador I decided, foolishly mind you, id get the replacement ignition coil from rm stator. After ignoring several dead give away clues that this was room temp IQ manuver I installed the Rm stator coils and it started fine. Initial test ride had no issues until I gave it some beans. Around 8600 rpm the " insert coins to continue" light came on and it dropped to two cylinders.

Tested contiunity from the coil connector to the pin on the ECU connector and concluded the coil driver in the ECU for that set of cylinders was pooched.
Few weeks later and 500 bucks, I put a used ecu in the bike and used the original coils that came with the bike and no issue. The only other thing I did was put new spark plugs in it. Wondering if It was just a bad plug or if the coil driver in the ecu was going bad on its own? Or if there is other gremlins still in there. I have put about 300km on the bike so far and no misfire or issues what so ever.

Any one have any alternative explination on the goings on or did I fry my ECU over a bad spark plug?

Cheers

Back