Riding south

broussos

So me and a friend were thinking of taking a ride south. We're planning to do skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway down to the smokies and then west to deals gap. We are probably going next week. Just wondering if this is a good time of year to be on the blue ridge and skyline,dont want to get stuck behind too many mobile homes or anything like that,is there a better route maybe,with nice twisty roads.Any other options/opinions greatly appreciated.

So me and a friend were thinking of taking a ride south. We're planning to do skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway down to the smokies and then west to deals gap. We are probably going next week. Just wondering if this is a good time of year to be on the blue ridge and skyline,dont want to get stuck behind too many mobile homes or anything like that,is there a better route maybe,with nice twisty roads.Any other options/opinions greatly appreciated.

I ride this area about three times a year. Just back from four days up there.

I would not recommend the Skyline Drive unless you like going slow. The speed limit is 35 and it tends to be enforced. Road condition is good, but not great.

The Blue Ridge, on the other hand, is the sweetest thing going. Posted speed is 45, it's lightly enforced and you can cruise the thing at 60 if you like fast cornering. Not much traffic and what there is, you can double-yellow.

Deals Gap should be avoided on the weekend, if possible. It tends to be a zoo and if you want to run it fast, Monday through Thursday is the best bet. If you'd prefer looking up the ass end of Electra Glides, go on Saturday.

There are better roads up there. Specifically, Route 28 from Deals Gap to Lauda, NC and--best of all--route 28 from Lauda to Franklin, NC. Route 28 from Highlands to the South Carolina line and a little south is also good--tight technical well-cambered stuff, not much traffic and decent sight distances so you can run them hard.

Also, try Route 215 off the Blue Ridge (near Beech Gap on the BRP) and Route 221 North north of Blowing Rock, NC. Blowing Rock is a nice place to stay, also, as is Little Switzerland, north of Asheville. Robbinsville, NC is very motorcycle oriented and recommended. Good MC shop called Wheeler's if you need repairs.

I did exactly what you are about to do. I went in October. It will take you nearly a full day to ride skyline dr. Bring a camera and prepare to be a tourist. If you are looking to make time this is not the way to go. If you are looking to take in some spectacular scenery you are making a great choice. The Blueridge is faster and less crowded as previously posted. You will enjoy the heck out of it.. I'm Jealous I need another trip.

I just got back from the BRP....My favorite road anywhere. We usually go to Deals Gap a couple times per year, I stayed at the Deals Gap resort the last trip, and it was great, we usually stay in Robbinsville at the MicroTell. I almost never ride the dragon, the last trip, a buddy of mine went, and had never been there, we must have rode it 15 times, mostly behind Hardley's at 20-25mph. It's turned into a Harley/cruiser bike destination, but the surrounding roads are all great, as someone already mentioned, 28 to Franklin is a great road.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have been down there before as well and think I might skip the skyline drive this time around. Only have a week or so and dont want to spend it at 35 behind a motor home. I will check out some of the other roads though they sound pretty good to me. If I make it to the dragon during the week I will run it, but not gonna sit behind gas spewing harleys either.

Back