riding in a suit

reignman

I know what your thinking and no... not a regular riding suit, or a swim suit... a business suit. I'm going to be confronted with dilema within the next few months as I'm in business school as Ohio State University and the (car) parking situation is terrible. It cost a fortune for a car and still requires you to ride the bus to get to the correct part of campus.

Good thing is I have the fz1 to cheaply and easily deliver me to the front door of every building! My problem is that there are going to be times when I need to wear a suit to school (for presentations or on-campus interviews).

Has anyone either rode in a suit or found a good way to transport and change into it without it being a crumpled up mess by the time you get to you
get to your destination???

That's a tough one. You always want to think safety first. I mean, you'd probably be the best dressed motorcyclist at the school.....

man_in_suit_sitting_on_motorcycle_DBC01539_zpsf814c873.jpg

WOS22289_zps331b4903.jpg

But not much protection there. Do they even have those "wrinkle free" suits anymore?? I think Sears used to sell them.

Motorcycle_business_zps2d5a8577.jpg

That, with a oversuit may work, but it's going to hot as heck during the summer months! I'm guessing that I'm not much help but I do know that God forbid you go down in a business suit it's not going to be a good day. Maybe someone else has been in this position before and could shed some light.

Strap a suiter travel bag to the bike or get a larger size mesh jacket and overpants.

Another thing to do which is what I did bicycle commuting is to get a locker on site and change there.

I've done it to work before just so I could be riding 90 down the interstate wearing a suite...

If you can't afford a car - you can't afford the dry-cleaning for the suite you ruin on your commute. I'd say if you never hit speeds of 45 mph and only drove a few miles no big deal

Find a locker at school, or talk to your faculty and ask if you can park a suit in their office for the times you need to wear it. A suit will get ruined with flecks of oil and splats of bugs.....don't do it.

Buy a polyester suit or polyester jacket and matching pants. Lots of companies make these. When you pack them, roll them up so they don't wrinkle. Polyester resists wrinkling well. I learned this with much traveling. Wool coats are a no-no, wrinkle for sure.

thanks guys. didn't even think about a locker. i should be able to get one at the gym where i can store it and change into when needed. or ill try to fold/roll in such a way to minimize wrinkles (i wasnt sure if that was possible with suits ive always seen them transported on hangers in garment bags). definitely dont want to ruin it by wearing it riding not to mention the complete lack of protection

Buy a polyester suit or polyester jacket and matching pants. Lots of companies make these. When you pack them, roll them up so they don't wrinkle. Polyester resists wrinkling well. I learned this with much traveling. Wool coats are a no-no, wrinkle for sure.

And the bell bottoms can go over your boots.

I wear a uniform to work every day, and just throw my Aerostitch AD1 pants over the top with a bike jacket, change my boots for shoes and away I go.

Look on the Aerostitch website for the roadcrafter suit. Expensive, but it'll last forever, and you can be out of your bike kit and ready for work in less than 30 seconds. Well worth it if you use it every day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

thanks guys. didn't even think about a locker. i should be able to get one at the gym where i can store it and change into when needed. or ill try to fold/roll in such a way to minimize wrinkles (i wasnt sure if that was possible with suits ive always seen them transported on hangers in garment bags). definitely dont want to ruin it by wearing it riding not to mention the complete lack of protection

This is your best option. If you have a good place to get changed that is totally worth it.

The Aerostitch is unworkable in summer. The suit will be a sweaty mess by the time you get it zipped and get your gloves on. The locker is the way to go. In the late '70s I commuted daily from Falls Church to DC and stowed my work clothes in a locker. I once got stuck at the entrance to the Delaware Bay Bridge Tunnel wearing a 'Stitch on a day when the temp was more than 100 degrees. Broasted.

Aaah, I'm not used to weather getting that hot over here in the UK, forgot you US boys get a decent summer[emoji24]. Hence why an Aerostitch is good for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back